Author Topic: Boyhood  (Read 5047 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Boyhood
« on: August 09, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »
Not sure if this needs a spoiler thread or not, but I did have one thing...not particularly a spoiler but might as well ask here.

So the scene when Masons Sr. and Jr. go camping and are by the lake, it sounds like it is ADR. It especially sounds that way because Mason Jr.'s voice is super low even though he's only like 13 at that point.

Then again, last time I visited my 7 yo nephew he had a cold and his voice sounded lower than mine.

FlickingDC

Re: Boyhood
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:56:57 PM »
I had that reaction too--seen it twice and both times that was the only scene where it struck me that it might be ADR.

I loved that scene because you see junior starting to open up with his dad and the two developing a real bond, which culminates beautifully in the bar conversation near the end.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:31:49 AM »
Not sure if this needs a spoiler thread or not, but I did have one thing...not particularly a spoiler but might as well ask here.

So the scene when Masons Sr. and Jr. go camping and are by the lake, it sounds like it is ADR. It especially sounds that way because Mason Jr.'s voice is super low even though he's only like 13 at that point.

Then again, last time I visited my 7 yo nephew he had a cold and his voice sounded lower than mine.

I noticed some bad green screen in the very first scene when Ethan Hawkes picks them up. It almost looks like Lorelei Linklater has a green ora around her.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 12:34:17 AM »
I walked in late and the first scene I saw was little Mason peaking around the door and you can hear the parents fighting. How much did I miss. I know supposedly the first scene is of Mason looking up at the sky while a Coldplay song is playing, but what else is between that.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:20:37 AM »
I kind of agreed with the caller in the bonus content the drinking scene did feal like something out of an after school special, and the scenes Adam talks about sensing that something bad was going to happen I never would have thought that if it wasn't mentioned on the show.

íKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
Enjoyed this but wasn't completely sold. The latino day laborer set-up was so forced it called attention to the whiteness of the film. Not that i would knock Link (or any artist) for mirroring his own experience but it really calls attention to the specificity of that experience despite the alluded titular universality. But ultimately the film functions as a meditation on memory - something Link has addressed in other think-pieces. The form completely lends itself to that. The unseen and unremembered periods of growth and development are passed over while the vividly recalled milestones and dramatics highlight a more typical version of recalled youth. In that sense it is a brilliant marriage of form and function.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:31:59 PM by íKeith! »

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 03:56:31 PM »
Kind of a sad childhood if your only interaction with someone of another race was your moms plumber.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »
Kind of a sad childhood if your only interaction with someone of another race was your moms plumber.

Speaking as a Texan, that is hardly the case. 

This film is as important for what it leaves out as for what is included.
Texan Down Under

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »

What it left out makes it less realistic.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »

What it left out makes it less realistic.

Strongly disagree! 
Texan Down Under