[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Pets?
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »
Budgie, parakeet - pretty much interchangeable, usage-wise, as far as I've been able to find. The woman who hand-raised the bird said "parakeet," so that's what we've gone with.

And yeah, we make sure the two animals don't know about each other's existence. ;)

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »
Budgie, parakeet - pretty much interchangeable, usage-wise, as far as I've been able to find. ...

Yeah, so what's next?  Are we gonna start calling conures, love birds and parrotlets "parakeets" too?!?!   ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:17:10 AM by sdb_1970 »
letterboxd

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
Cool pics, oad! The look of that cat combined with the adorableness of that child is a great combo. :)

I used to have a couple of Parakeets and a Cockatiel. We'd always keep an eye on them when the birds decided to go for walks on the floor, but they just bullied the cats more than anything. Weird creatures.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
Yeah, so what's next?  Are we gonna start calling conures, love birds and parrotlets "parakeets" too?!?!   ;)
Yep, it's all chaos and madness next. :)

Cool pics, oad! The look of that cat combined with the adorableness of that child is a great combo. :)

I used to have a couple of Parakeets and a Cockatiel. We'd always keep an eye on them when the birds decided to go for walks on the floor, but they just bullied the cats more than anything. Weird creatures.
Thanks! :)

And wow! I don't think I'd trust our particular bird with our particular cat, who, affectionate and never-bad tempered as she is with people, is quite the hunter - mice, rats, birds are the frequent eviscerated offerings on our front stoop.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
And wow! I don't think I'd trust our particular bird with our particular cat, who, affectionate and never-bad tempered as she is with people, is quite the hunter - mice, rats, birds are the frequent eviscerated offerings on our front stoop.

How sweet! :) My cats were purely indoor cats, so I think maybe their hunting instincts were pretty...bad. The time or two that there was a mouse in the house they were completely useless!

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »

And you shouldn't!  Having been on the parrot message boards for 15+ years, I can tell you that for every cute story you hear or viral video you watch of some small bird cavorting with a cat or dog, there are probably 25 instances - which aren't cute and people are too embarrassed to talk about (except to share their sorrow with other bird people) - where the cat or dog killed the bird.  It's asking too much of your companion animals to fight that much instinct.
letterboxd

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »
My cats were purely indoor cats, so I think maybe their hunting instincts were pretty...bad. The time or two that there was a mouse in the house they were completely useless!
Could be! Our cat has always been an outdoor kitty and she comes from a line of mouse-huntin' barn cats - it's unusual, actually, that she's so friendly and sweet to us - barn cats are generally pretty skittish.

And you shouldn't!  Having been on the parrot message boards for 15+ years, I can tell you that for every cute story you hear or viral video you watch of some small bird cavorting with a cat or dog, there are probably 25 instances - which aren't cute and people are too embarrassed to talk about (except to share their sorrow with other bird people) - where the cat or dog killed the bird.  It's asking too much of your companion animals to fight that much instinct.
It took only one story from a friend - about coming home to a bird cage on the floor, a headless bird, and a smug cat - to make me terrified of letting our cat anywhere near our bird. The indoor/outdoor distinction between them helps!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »
Just turned 1 year old this week

At home she doesn't normally sit next to me but when ever we go to the park she jumps on the bench and sits half on my lap.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
I've been going through some boxes and came across a picture of Sam and me. I guess he didn't mind me holding him, so I must have been a rooster whisperer. :)

love