Author Topic: General FS Book Discussion Thread (now nominating for FS Book Discussion #3)  (Read 12813 times)

heisenbergman

• Hey.
Re: FS Book Discussion #1 - still accepting nominations
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »
Yep, that's fine.

Also, having just recently watched Infamous and Capote, two movies about 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote, could I nominate that book as well.
Sure. I'll take note of that. Just can't edit the OP now since I'm on my phone because my laptop died :( which makes it difficult to edit.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »
I'm going to be bored with my noms after a month whether they get picked or not. :)

SmashTheTV

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »
Yeah im def keen for different nominations each month.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »
@Bondo & Tequila: I was thinking new noms every month, but you can always nominate the same books if they're not picked. Bondo, how were you thinking of structuring it in such a way that everyone will have their pick featured eventually?

I guess at least something like, if your pick is selected, you don't nominate for a couple cycles...but that would depend a bit on how many people join in. On the plus side this would make it more likely that everyone could have a nomination featured after a spell, but there is the risk that people may be less likely to keep going if they don't have a stake (hints of Top 100 Club there, though that has been a pretty big success as far as I'm concerned) or just it would make books that people are less enthusiastic about as a whole get selected and could make participation less that way.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
I'd don't mind people keeping their nominations for each month. I also like the idea of different people making a selection each month, just as long as it not one of their own nominations. That or putting nominations to a vote, not really bothered.

I'm looking forward to this :).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:51:25 PM by Monty »

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
Hmm, that's an interesting thought...either all but one get to nominate and that one gets to pick or one gets to nominate a set and everyone else gets to pick..

Even with a basic system, I think I would like the tacit rule that you don't vote for your own nominations in the poll.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 03:54:48 PM »
I'm not too bothered by getting my nomination through but I feel like I would like a little diversity. The current list of books has four or five Sci-Fi novels on it. Maybe we could find a way to ensure we won't be reading the same genre for the next three months.

Also, heisenbergman (or any moderator), it would be great if you could add the timetable to the first post of the thread before we lose it somewhere - assuming we're sticking with it.
Book #1:
08/26 - 08/30: nominations
08/30 - 09/06: voting
09/07 - 10/19: reading and discussion

Book #2:
09/26 - 09/30: nominations
09/30 - 10/06: voting
10/07 - 11/19: reading and discussion

Book #3:
10/26 - 10/30: nominations
10/30 - 11/06: voting
11/07 - 12/19: reading and discussion

Since there are people who can source the book immediately and those that have to wait to source the book, I figured that as a compromise:
(1) reading and discussion can start immediately after voting closes
(2) but instead of one month, we could extend reading and discussion to six weeks.

Note that there is a slight overlap (roughly two weeks) between successive books though.
- so for those who finish early, they can still contribute on the previous book thread as others are still reading and posting about it
- at the same time they can start on the next book while others are sourcing it / finishing the previous book
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »
Want to start a new thread and make it sticky?
Texan Down Under

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 07:12:35 PM »
^ Yup sure! I need to create a new thread anyway for the poll.

I was considering just making this thread the general discussion thread for all things related to the Book Discussion project (e.g. - nominations, mechanics, etc) once voting is underway.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
Even with a basic system, I think I would like the tacit rule that you don't vote for your own nominations in the poll.

Only problem with this is that it would be difficult to enforce. I'm sure most of us filmspotters are honest and upstanding, but I don't think we need to restrict voting for only those books you did not nominate. If voting wasn't multiple choice, I think that rule would be more necessary, but since everyone can vote for any number of books anyway, they can vote for their own nominations and all other books that they'd also read if chosen, so in the end, I think the book that the majority wants would still come out on top.

I'm not too bothered by getting my nomination through but I feel like I would like a little diversity. The current list of books has four or five Sci-Fi novels on it. Maybe we could find a way to ensure we won't be reading the same genre for the next three months.

Yeah, I could get on board with this for the sake of variety. So if a sci-fi book is picked, we could "ban" sci-fi nominations for the next month or two.