love

Author Topic: General FS Book Discussion Thread (now nominating for FS Book Discussion #3)  (Read 12801 times)

heisenbergman

• Hey.
Current schedule:

Book #1:
08/26 - 08/30: nominations
08/30 - 09/06: voting
09/07 - 10/19: reading and discussion

Book #2:
09/26 - 09/30: nominations
09/30 - 10/06: voting
10/07 - 11/19: reading and discussion

Book #3:

10/26 - 10/30: nominations
10/30 - 11/06: voting
11/07 - 12/19: reading and discussion

Since there are people who can source the book immediately and those that have to wait to source the book, I figured that as a compromise:
(1) reading and discussion can start immediately after voting closes
(2) but instead of one month, we could extend reading and discussion to six weeks.

Note that there is a slight overlap (roughly two weeks) between successive books though.
- so for those who finish early, they can still contribute on the previous book thread as others are still reading and posting about it
- at the same time they can start on the next book while others are sourcing it / finishing the previous book

====

Anyone interested?

Maybe members could nominate 2-3 books apiece, then we could all put that on a poll and vote on what to read. I'd imagine if a handful of members are game, we could whip up something quick for September.

Yea? Nay?

=====

Update #1: Alright then! It seems that the interest check went swimmingly. So I'm now re-appropriating the thread for book nominations for September. You may nominate 1-2 books. Afterwards (maybe after a couple of days), I'll create a poll so that everyone may vote finally on what books we'll read for next month :)

=====

November nominees (the genres & # of pages are approximations):

INVISIBLE MAN by Ralph Ellison - (pub. 1952; 581 pgs; literary fiction)
FUN HOME: A FAMILY TRAGICOMIC by Alison Bechdel - (pub. 2006; 234 pgs; non-fiction - autobiography)
THE MINOTAUR TAKES A CIGARETTE BREAK by Steven Sherrill - (pub. 2000; 313 pgs; fantasy)
UNBROKEN: A WORLD WAR II STORY OF SURVIVAL, RESILIENCE, AND REDEMPTION by Laura Hillenbrand - (pub. 2010; 473 pgs; non-fiction - biography)
THE PEARL by John Steinbeck - (pub. 1945; 87 pgs; literary fiction)
IN THE DUST OF THIS PLANET by Eugene Thacker - (pub. 2011; 170 pgs; non-fiction - philosophy)
CONSUMED by David Cronenberg - (pub. 2009; 304 pgs; fiction)
NAKED LUNCH by William S. Burroughs - (pub. 1959; 289 pgs; literary fiction)
BOSSYPANTS by Tina Fey - (pub. 2011; 275  pgs; non-fiction - autobiography)
THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY: MURDER, MAGIC, AND MADNESS AT THE FAIR THAT CHANGED AMERICA by Erik Larson - (pub. 2002; 447 pgs; non-fiction - crime)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:56:39 AM by heisenbergman »

SmashTheTV

Re: How about a FS Book of the Month Club?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 01:32:32 AM »
Could be keen. Although I doubt you will be able to get my nomination in the states. http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/South-Sea-Vagabonds/22419882

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:40:25 AM »
Yeah about that: I think availability of the book for others should be a consideration upon nominating something to read - both because (1) if people can't get it, we can't read it; and (2) people will probably not vote for it if they don't know it / can't get it ;D

As an aside (fwiw): We've been doing this for the past few months on another forum and each month only around 3-5 members participate, but it still ends up pretty fun to discuss what we're reading together... so if anyone is worried about participation, as long as we can get a handful of members, I imagine it shouldn't be so much of a problem.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:19:47 AM »
I'm interested. :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »
Sadly the main hold-up for me is the thought of having to read a whole book in a single month. I've transitioned mostly to audiobooks of late because I can listen to them at work. My job involves so much looking at words that I am not consistently keen to when I'm not working. Still, I'm generally interested.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »
I kind of have a tendency to overcommit on the number of books I read at once. Id be into picking up an occasional book here though.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
Wish I could! I have a particularly busy 6 months of teaching coming up (heavier class load plus a new class), so I already (temporarily) dropped out of the local book club I've been a part of for years. But I'll follow along here with interest - and hope I can pick up one of the books you decide on here and there, especially in late spring when I'll be less busy.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »
I've been reading the same book for like 9-10 months.  Granted, it's over 1000 pages (it's actually three books in one volume) but still... my pace is way too slow for this.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 02:03:34 PM »
I'd be interested. Now that's the summer's coming to an end and I'm likely to be outdoors less often, there's likely to be the opportunity to do some reading.

I'm sure there's plenty of books by well renowned writers, which are easily accessible to all of us?
I've never read any FS Fitzgerald, John Steinbeck, William Faulkner or people like that!

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

SmashTheTV

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 03:31:02 PM »
Yes there is an infinity amount of classics that I am yet to read.

love