Author Topic: General FS Book Discussion Thread (now nominating for FS Book Discussion #3)  (Read 12799 times)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: How about a FS Book of the Month Club?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »
Yup.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

SmashTheTV

Re: How about a FS Book of the Month Club?
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »
Ok this is my nomination.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Wake-Paul-Kingsnorth/dp/1908717866/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393844608&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+kingsnorth

Ignore that, I just read a sample of the book :O

My nomination is now... The Picture of Dorian Gray

heisenbergman

• Hey.
Re: Book of the Month #1 - now accepting nominations for September
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »
Alright then! It seems that the interest check went swimmingly. So I'm now re-appropriating the thread for book nominations for September. You may nominate 1-2 books. Afterwards (maybe after a couple of days), I'll create a poll so that everyone may vote finally on what books we'll read for next month :) I'll make the poll multiple choice (where you may vote for all books you would be interested in reading), and whatever has most votes will be our September BotM.

=====

My nominations:

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE by Agatha Christie - (pub. 1939; 264 pgs; mystery/thriller)
CLOUD ATLAS by David Mitchell - (pub. 2004; 509 pgs; sci-fi/fantasy)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 12:08:42 AM »
I will nominate:

Jennifer Government by Max Barry 336p (one I want to re-read that I own so it would be easy to get)
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 864p (because I'm already reading it)

Just curious about the time table...so we pick a book for September 1 and then actually discuss it October 1? Or is discussion allowed throughout the month? Also I was pondering if perhaps we could have two months between announcement of a book and discussion (though we could still announce monthly and just stagger. That would give a bit more time to track books down. I know I'm hoping to rely on the library for this and if a book is already checked out I might have to wait a couple weeks which would make finishing it even more difficult. Having an extra month to secure the book (and perhaps get a start on reading) might help make sure I am ready.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 12:32:35 AM »
^ Oh good point regarding the lead time. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry, I wasn't able to take that into account since I could source most books instantly from the Kindle store or - in rare cases where I couldn't - within the day from a nearby bookstore. I didn't realize that it would take some people some time to get copies in a manner that would be ideal to them so that they could participate.

So in my mind, the plan was to vote this week for what book to read, and then discuss the chosen BotM throughout the month of September (SEP 1-30). But if there needs to be time for people to acquire copies, we could set a lead time that most would be comfortable with.

Would voting for the book now and starting the discussion on October be ideal for most? Or would that be too long? Maybe a mid-September start? Those interested in joining, please opine what system would be most comfortable ;D Thanks!

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 02:04:35 AM »
Walter M. Miller, Jr. - A Canticle for Leibowitz
I might put up a second nominee if we decide to include non-fiction.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 02:12:43 AM »
Yup, I'd say non-fiction is fair game.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 02:23:27 AM »
In that case I'll add Gilbert King - Devil in the Grove.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 02:27:08 AM »
Okay I'll add that. What are your thoughts on the need for a lead-time for book discussions (and how long), Tequila?

love