love

Author Topic: General FS Book Discussion Thread (now nominating for FS Book Discussion #3)  (Read 12796 times)

SmashTheTV

Re: Book of the Month #1 - now accepting nominations for September
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 05:32:39 AM »
I will be doing kindle. But I have plenty to read while people are sourcing the book!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
I wish I could participate, but I also cannot guarantee my ability to read a book in a month.  Often I can, sometimes I can't.  But I'd be willing to try.

If I was going to nominate one, I'd want to read East of Eden by Steinbeck.  I'm a huge fan of his work, but I've never read this one.

I also am interested in re-reading The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut,  which I haven't read since high school.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »
I'd like to nominate Cannery Row by John Steinbeck.

It's accessible for everyone to get, plus it's 176 pages long, which isn't too taxing as regards available reading time.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 01:42:06 PM »
I also plan on ideally acquiring these books digitally, so hopefully that won't take too long. As for reading time, I'd say a month should be fine for most books with maybe the odd exception for very long books. But those don't tend to get voted for anyway.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
I'll drop anchor on the Aubry-Maturin series and join this. I'm not too fussy about what I read... I mean I'll try anything, and usually even finish stuff I'm just so-so on.

I'd love to revisit Stranger In A Strange Land, the first Heinlein book I read that got me into Heinlein. It's been at least 5 years I'd say.

Or The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch sounds like a lot of fun.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 08:19:02 PM »
I may be interested in this. Will probably be traveling a lot this month (always a prime time for reading). Not sure of nominees to add. Can I just sort of latch on this month?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »
ooh, Stranger in a Strange Land!

I don't have a recommendation, but will try and get whatever book is picked.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 10:02:35 PM »
Can I just sort of latch on this month?

Sure. This sort of us just testing the waters if it will work (or how to make it work) anyway.

Really liking the nominated books so far. There are several there outside of the ones I nominated that I'm really interested in as well. Stranger in a Strange Land especially.

I'm thinking of closing nominations around the weekend. Here's the timeline I have in my head:

Book #1:
08/26 - 08/30: nominations
08/30 - 09/06: voting
09/07 - 10/19: reading and discussion

Book #2:
09/26 - 09/30: nominations
09/30 - 10/06: voting
10/07 - 11/19: reading and discussion

Book #3:
10/26 - 10/30: nominations
10/30 - 11/06: voting
11/07 - 12/19: reading and discussion

Since there are people who can source the book immediately and those that have to wait to source the book, I figured that as a compromise:
(1) reading and discussion can start immediately after voting closes
(2) but instead of one month, we could extend reading and discussion to six weeks.

Note that there is a slight overlap (roughly two weeks) between successive books though.
- so for those who finish early, they can still contribute on the previous book thread as others are still reading and posting about it
- at the same time they can start on the next book while others are sourcing it / finishing the previous book

idk... this doesn't seem like a perfect system, but it's a system and it could be improved. I was just thinking that doing it this way might be most comfortable for most as there might be a number of readers who might want to start as soon as the book-to-read is decided and there would also be others that would want to join the discussion later on after they have got the book in their hands.

SmashTheTV

Re: FS Book Discussion #1 - still accepting nominations
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:04 PM »
I say lets go for it!

As far as discussion goes, If we wanted to talk about the book we could post like this:

Up to page 109.

Then just spoiler our conversation.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
Re: FS Book Discussion #1 - still accepting nominations
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 11:14:46 PM »
^ Yup, I agree. As much as possible, our posts should indicate where we've read up to so other interested readers know more or less when and when not to hover over the spoiler.

love