love

Poll

Which of these two books do you prefer to read? PICK ONLY ONE (1).

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE by Agatha Christie - (pub. 1939; 264 pgs; mystery/thriller)
8 (61.5%)
STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND by Robert A. Heinlein - (pub. 1961; 528 pgs; sci-fi)
5 (38.5%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)
<do not vote>
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: September 05, 2014, 07:30:39 PM

Author Topic: FS Book Discussion #1 - And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie  (Read 12784 times)

heisenbergman

• Hey.
Re: FS Book Discussion #1 - Runoff voting ongoing now!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 12:11:01 AM »
Here were the results of the initial poll:

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE by Agatha Christie - (pub. 1939; 264 pgs; mystery/thriller)   7 (14.6%)
STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND by Robert A. Heinlein - (pub. 1961; 528 pgs; sci-fi)   7 (14.6%)

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY by Oscar Wilde - (pub. 1890; 254 pgs; gothic horror/fantasy)   6 (12.5%)
CLOUD ATLAS by David Mitchell - (pub. 2004; 509 pgs; sci-fi/fantasy)   4 (8.3%)
A CANTICLE FOR LEIBOWITZ by Walter M. Miller Jr. - (pub. 1959; 334 pgs; dystopian/post-apocalyptic)   4 (8.3%)
THE SIRENS OF TITAN by Kurt Vonnegut - (pub. 1959; 326 pgs; sci-fi)   4 (8.3%)
IN COLD BLOOD by Truman Capote - (pub. 1965; 343 pgs; non-fiction/crime)   4 (8.3%)
EAST OF EDEN by John Steinbeck - (pub. 1952; 601 pgs; historical/literary fiction)   3 (6.3%)
CANNERY ROW by John Steinbeck - (pub. 1945; 181 pgs; historical fiction)   3 (6.3%)
THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA by Scott Lynch - (pub. 2006; 501 pgs; fantasy)   3 (6.3%)
JENNIFER GOVERNMENT by Max Barry - (pub. 2002; 352 pgs; sci-fi)   2 (4.2%)
ANNA KARENINA by Leo Tolstoy - (pub. 1877; 964 pgs; romance/historical)   1 (2.1%)
DEVIL IN THE GROVE by Gilbert King - (pub. 2012; 464 pgs; non-fiction/american history)   0 (0%)

Taking the remaining time now to perform a runoff vote between the top two books!

Please cast your vote for either And Then There Were None or Stranger In A Strange Land. Thanks!

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 12:16:21 AM »
I voted for both so if we had ability to change votes I could break the tie by unvoting one.

I say we should read the Christie...it's shorter.

Agreed. For future reference can't we make the book selections 350 to 400 pages maximum.

I understand the suggestion. Actually, that's why I was mindful of including the # of pages in the choices since I wanted people to know what they were getting themselves into... but if we're going to set the book length that low, we're going to leave out A LOT of interesting books, not to mention disqualify a great many sci-fi and fantasy reads.

Personally, I think that a book length limit is not necessary, but if we're to set it, I think setting it at around 600 pages will be most apt.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 12:34:53 AM »
We've done this before, and although we were able to mostly make it through Stephen King's gigantic Under the Dome, shorter is better in these kinds of things. As much as I want to participate, I've got a lot of junk coming up in the near future and I've gotta spend most of my reading time doing "work" reading for school and suchly. As much as ruling out longer books seems like a bad thing because you'll be getting rid of classics, just imagine how many great shorter works there are. Looking at my top 50 list, almost all of the books I love are either short or long but "easy" reads, including comic books and the like. Basically, read the long stuff on your own time, it'll just gunk up the works of something as hard to organize and keep up as this.

But, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 12:35:28 AM »
Let it be known, I didn't expect anyone to actually pick Anna Karenina...that is a challenge I must face alone.

SmashTheTV

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »
I think its been said but we don't need to put a page limit because most likely those books won't be picked.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
Re: FS Book Discussion #1 - Runoff / Tiebreaker voting ongoing now! Please vote.
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »
^ Yup I was thinking that too. People will tend to pick the book(s) that they want to read, and I'm sure that book length will factor into their considerations of what to vote for.

Wow close tiebreaker vote.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
Re: FS Book Discussion #1 - Runoff / Tiebreaker voting ongoing now! Please vote.
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 03:24:25 AM »
We start in around 20 hours from now.

I can just re-appropriate this same thread for the actual reading and discussion, right? :)

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »
I've voted in the tiebreaker.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 08:34:20 AM »
Ah. Around 15 hours till deadline. It's becoming clear what we're going to read :)

heisenbergman

• Hey.
Re: FS Book Discussion #1 - And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 10:48:54 PM »
Our first book discussion will be:

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE by Agatha Christie

I'll get a copy within the day but won't start reading tonight. Not sure I'll be able to contribute immediately, but I'll be sure to post whenever I can opine ;)

love