Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2014  (Read 16182 times)

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2014
« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2014, 12:47:29 AM »
The Babadook.
... This is achieved through a vice-like grip on every aspect of the film by writer and director Jennifer Kent. She keeps everything in line and on point, ...

This is actually what undoes the film for me. It's lean, functional and illustrative. You can put an equal sign between the grief and the Babadook and there is no surplus, nothing that doesn't compute. The look and sound is well-crafted and so are the plot twists and reversals. Kent does everything right, yet the result did neither interest nor scare me.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #291 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52:48 PM »
The Babadook.
... This is achieved through a vice-like grip on every aspect of the film by writer and director Jennifer Kent. She keeps everything in line and on point, ...

This is actually what undoes the film for me. It's lean, functional and illustrative. You can put an equal sign between the grief and the Babadook and there is no surplus, nothing that doesn't compute. The look and sound is well-crafted and so are the plot twists and reversals. Kent does everything right, yet the result did neither interest nor scare me.

I can see that happening. There are times when I like messiness and excess in films, and horror is certainly a genre that can stand a little extra stuff, but there's something about such a complete and controlled film that really works for me as well. It's impressive, as you said, even if it isn't engaging for everybody.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #292 on: November 04, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »
The Babadook.

...it's really scary. Like, I had to close my door and pull the covers up to keep watching it scary.

10/10.

Epic.