love

Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2014  (Read 38402 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2014
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »
I'll get to a few. Been on a real noir kick lately so I'm going to try to find some horror-noirs to watch (I second The Seventh Victim recommendation).

I looked for these last year. Try House By the River, The Red House and Hangover Square. Green for Danger is a bit of a stretch, but it's a really cool murder mystery. Secret Beyond the Door has its admirers. I was mixed on it, but it fits what you're looking for.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »
I've seen all of those, although House by the River is a bit fuzzy.

I also watched the Universal Frankenstein, Wolf Man, Mummy, and Dracula movies and their sequels last year....many for this marathon. Might get to the other two, the Invisible Man and Creature. I've seen the originals but want to watch all the sequels.

SmashTheTV

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 03:51:49 AM »
I am finally going to watch Nosferatu.

Welcome to the party, Smash. You'll find we're a pretty lively bunch during this month.
Are you finally going to watch F.W. Murnau's 1922 silent or Werner Herzog's freaky 1979 version?

Have you seen Pontypool?

Originally possibly will watch the remake too. And no have not seen it. Nor have I heard of it!

I'm also looking forward to watching some more Argento. I think I have only seen Suspiria. Also keen to see Wicker Man for the first time. (Original of course)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
Argento is somebody I need to re-evaluate. Was figuring on some rewatches next Shocktober. I know you've been over to his Director's Thread. If you're looking for more like Suspiria, Deep Red and Tenebre are the next steps.

I'm a child of the Grindhouse and I love good genre directors like Romero and Argento.  They don't make Great films, but their experimentation with the rules of cinema make for a very interesting watch.

Argento, for example, is actually one of my least favorite directors.  In terms of directors ripping off Great directors it's...

Hitchcock > DePalma > Argento

3rd rate, but like DePalma there's still the occasional dynamic shot or sequence that makes you realize the excitement of a visually operatic style.  I think the opening set piece of Susperia is a perfect example.  It makes little narrative sense, but the use of lighting, garish set design and in your face scoring do set one's nerves on edge.

There's a wealth of bad films out there that contain scenes whose bold originality make the whole experience worthwhile.  I'll take Argento over the glut of bland PG-13 horror any day.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 12:34:13 PM »
I thought Suspiria was quite bad when I first saw it. Like almost unwatchable. Avoided Argento otherwise for 4 or 5 years, until I watched Deep Red in our discovery project. Thought that movie was wonderful, and have watched several other Argento's since. Curious to reevaluate Suspiria sometime soon based on how much I like the other handful I've now seen.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »

Godzilla (2014)

In a time when studios believe more is more, I'm especially fond of the restraint Gareth Edwards brings to this Summer blockbuster about fighting dinosaurs. There's as much careless destruction here as in Man of Steel, but Edwards doesn't treat crumbling buildings like fireworks, and he pushes himself to come up with creative ways to film the action. The running time feels right and I'm left anticipating Godzilla's return, not dreading its inevitability.

I warned my wife about Aaron Taylor-Johnson, but she was watching for Godzilla anyways. Him and Bryan Cranston, who reminds her of Jack Lemmon. There's a similar delivery style and an unmistakable joy in their work. She scoffed whenever the military tried to take action against the creatures and laughed out loud when a MUTO bears down on ATJ and he pulls out a pistol. Considering how long it takes to get to Godzilla, she was never bored, and his introduction - which also builds anticipation really well - was very effective. "These things always turn into a wrestling match eventually", but she liked how it wasn't just that for 45 minutes (like the climax of The Incredible Hulk.)
MY RATING: * * *
Mrs. 1SO: * * *

- moments of scariness
I thought this was a stretch for a Shocktober selection, but there are a couple of nice jump scares, some spooky shots of MUTO's rising out of the darkness and a freaky scene on a train bridge.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »
That bridge scene is really great, isn't it? I love the Cranston/Lemmon connection. I would love to see Lemmon in a giant monster movie. Can we get a time machine up in here?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 10:56:43 PM »
Next time you watch the film, watch Cranston's argument with ATJ for going back to the quarantine zone and his interrogation room rant. They're very China Syndrome.

Smiley

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 06:07:57 AM »
Room for one more?

I've never done one of the marathons before, is it just watching the films around a certain theme and listing them?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 06:15:57 AM »
Room for a hundred more. Anyone who's a member of the Forum can join in.

Usually, some brief remarks are posted (or a link to your blog review). It's not a race to see who can watch the most films.