Author Topic: FS Book Discussion #4 - The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank  (Read 4052 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: FS Book Discussion #4 - The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 12:54:59 PM »
At the current temporal pace (25% in), the book will go until mid-June 1945, well after V-E Day. Feeling optimistic.

Frank can at times feel awfully poised in her language for a 13 year old, but also often seems very much the snarky, eye-rolling teenage girl.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 09:29:34 AM »
I made a joke about versions earlier, but sure enough, I got an e-book copy from the library (in addition to the hardcover version from the library I've had for about 10 days) and it has an entry not in the hardcover. Now I'm wondering how much I missed out on.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »
One of the things that Anne's father removed was all her sexual meditations.  I think you're reading the wrong version.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 02:05:57 PM »
I am now reading no version. I just wasn't getting into it so I did not renew my loan from the library. I'm pondering my future in book club generally because once I start school, appointment reading will seem even more challenging.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 05:22:19 PM »
I'm a bit more than half way through and have taken a break.  I can see that much of young adult fiction comes from Anne's pen.  I love the fact that she is living on the wrong side of a dystopia, but she isn't depressed or dark at all.  She is a bright young woman and she is doing the best she can in a difficult circumstance.  Not really what I expected.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »
Yea, I might have to audio this one to get through it. I just haven't had the sit-down time with it I hoped I would.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 10:59:53 PM »
I was hoping it would be on youtube, but the portions have all been taken down except for a few. I've listened to those and want to hear the rest so much! She talks about D-Day briefly, as the information is coming to her. I've seen the movie and a play long ago, but her words directly are much more immediate and personal.