love

Author Topic: Calvary  (Read 6866 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Calvary
« on: September 27, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
OK, so I read some interviews about who killed the dog, but what was with the daughter at the end?

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
Re: Calvary
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »
Wait, are we supposed to know who killed the dog?

(Perhaps Wes Anderson shooting GBP on the soundstage next door?)
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 11:34:55 PM »
Wait, are we supposed to know who killed the dog?

(Perhaps Wes Anderson shooting GBP on the soundstage next door?)

Well, if you remember they hinted at it when he got the gun, something about putting a dog out of its misery.

This is what else I found on the dog.

I was at the premier of the movie in Australia last night and the director was asked the question at the end of the Q&A and here was his response: "After the dog dies there's a panning through all the main characters of the movie and one of them has a bandage around their hand, insinuating they had been bitten by Bruno as they tried to kill him" It appears it requires an additional watch..

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 12:39:40 AM »
I've tried to no avail to come up with a rationale for the way the gun shot to the head was filmed. It's not the gory detail of it that bothers me, but the repetition of the moment in a profile shot, first from one side, then from the other. That almost ruined an otherwise pretty good film for me.

Also, re the dog, I looked for bandaged hands, but didn't see any.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:43:19 AM by goodguy »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
I've tried to no avail to come up with a rationale for the way the gun shot to the head was filmed.

This was the worst moment for me as well. Unless he was mocking Mel Gibson for Passion of the Christ.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 09:07:13 AM »
I've tried to no avail to come up with a rationale for the way the gun shot to the head was filmed. It's not the gory detail of it that bothers me, but the repetition of the moment in a profile shot, first from one side, then from the other. That almost ruined an otherwise pretty good film for me.

I saw that choice as a fulfillment of the promise of the confessor to "shock" them in the opening scene, entirely consistent with the other meta aspects of the film - that is, like the members of the church would expect a revenge murder of a "bad" priest by a victim of abuse (from the perpectice of the confessor), we as the audience also know what's coming on the beach and we also needed to be jarred.  Also, the repitition in particular may be cinematically suggesting that the confessor played this moment over and over in his own head as a sort of cathartic fantasy.  Finally, I found the sequence to be consistent with the overall unreality to the dialogue, etc. of the film that gives it the feel of an allegorical play.
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 10:24:56 AM »
It's interesting that I just wrote about Calvary after watching it last night, and my mind neglected to mention the dog and the mystery about who killed it. I did look it up online today and found out which guy had the bandage. 

The final shot didn't bother me, though I can see how it might seem overdone. It was a powerful scene for me, but mostly due to the look of resignation on Brendan Gleeson's face as he stands on the beach ready to face his fate.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 11:06:17 PM »
Brendan Gleeson's face as he stands on the beach ready to face his fate.
Surely, one of the best faces on the screen these days. He's so good.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:26:34 AM »
Brendan Gleeson's face as he stands on the beach ready to face his fate.
Surely, one of the best faces on the screen these days. He's so good.

Definitely.

Shay

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 11:13:45 AM »
I was anticipating this when it came out, but just now caught up to it.

I can't figure out why I had no reaction to the climax. Didn't like it. Didn't dislike it. Wasn't moved an inch.

I enjoyed the move scene-by-scene, however.

Watched this back-to-back with You the Living (sick day), to which I had an identical response.

love