Author Topic: Transparent  (Read 816 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Transparent
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »
Just to see if I'm the only one watching this.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Transparent
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:20:11 PM »
Naturally I had to watch it. :D Posted elsewhere in the forum so reposted here:

Transparent: Season One

Just finished the first season of Amazon's new series, which is highly bingeable at five hours over ten episodes. I had really high hopes for this coming out of pilot season last year. If the show doesn't quite hit my high aspirations, it manages to be a very strong season of television all the same. The show is centered, in large part, around Jeffrey Tambor's Mort/Maura, being the titular trans parent. While there are some interesting things to do with the coming out/starting a transition process involved in his story, I didn't find it that moving. Really, none of the main cast had a strong effect on me with the exception of Gaby Hoffmann's Ali. Her arc was a bit Girls, both being a slightly entitled but not very accomplished young adult, and in her sexual exploration, she being involved in the more awkward moments. Some of the supporting characters seemed more interesting to me, such as Melora Hardin as Tammy, the lesbian interest of the Maura's elder daughter, or Carrie Brownstein's Syd, Ali's friend.

I guess my overall concern is one of tone. The show feels at its best as comedy of disfunction (though importantly with the happy aspect of the family ultimately providing the support and reforming), and when it shows a lighter touch it was more enjoyable. Too often it let itself become too heavy in its treatment and here it felt like it just didn't have what it needed to earn it.

B

alexarch

• Godfather
Re: Transparent
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »
Cool review. We've binged the first 4 or 5 episodes, and I'm loving it. Jerry, not so much. It's melancholy, which I'm really happy with.

I love Jeffrey Tambor. He just needs to be in everything ever.

As far as tone, it's what Jerry doesn't like, but I'm really okay with. It's really a 1/2 hour drama, not a comedy, which I think they've billed it as. And I think even maybe the makers want it to be. But it's just not. There are some great funny moments - the attacking geese, the party next door - but otherwise it's a drama about some really messed up children.

There was a moment at the end of the pilot when Moira is sitting in her group and everyone has witnessed just how messed up the kids are, and Moira says, "They're just so selfish." For whatever reason, that moment really struck me, and made me want to keep watching.

love