love

Author Topic: Top 5 Sniper Scenes  (Read 9799 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Top 5 Sniper Scenes
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 01:39:29 AM »
Maybe you score higher when the action buttons are with your dominant hand :), but this is where I defer to Solid Blake for confirmation.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 10:07:26 AM »
1. Act of Valor Wymey's overwatch shot and the body is caught and silently lowered into the water.  Those boys are scary good.

2. Enemy at the Gates Major Konig's shot that kills Koulikov as he's jumping across the bombed out building.

3. Saving Private Ryan Jackson is the man.

4. Navy SEALs Bill Paxton as 'God' blowing holes in concrete to kill enemies.  Had to throw this movie in there lol.

5. Clear and Present Danger Domingo Chavez training shots.  When he stands up to reveal his location is right on top of the trainers is just classic.  That type of training is real world accurate for sniper school. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »
That type of training is real world accurate for sniper school. 

Great picks, I'm glad you chimed in for exactly this reason! :)

jmbossy

• Generally Critical
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan or Enemy at the Gates, but I do have 3 scenes I think are worth highlighting.

3. Blue Ruin
Conversation Killer

2. The Hurt Locker
Desert Ambush

1. Jarhead
Request Denied (This is easily number 1, the entire movie builds to a moment that never happens. This visceral disappointment is literally the movies' entire point.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:03:03 PM by jmbossy »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 03:32:46 AM »
5. Clear and Present Danger Domingo Chavez training shots.  When he stands up to reveal his location is right on top of the trainers is just classic.  That type of training is real world accurate for sniper school.

That is a great scene.

With fronds like these...

• I'm on Twitter...
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »
2. The Hurt Locker
Desert Ambush

This is a fantastic sequence.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
@jmbossy

Hurt Locker I remember, that's a great pick. Jarhead I don't recall, maybe it's for the reasons you mention. Blue Ruin sounds like an interesting movie I should keep an eye out for, thanks!

I didn't get a chance to comment before you took off Skyfall, but I know the scene you meant and I agree! Maybe the coolest looking sequence of all of them. :)

jmbossy

• Generally Critical
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »
@jmbossy

Hurt Locker I remember, that's a great pick. Jarhead I don't recall, maybe it's for the reasons you mention. Blue Ruin sounds like an interesting movie I should keep an eye out for, thanks!

I didn't get a chance to comment before you took off Skyfall, but I know the scene you meant and I agree! Maybe the coolest looking sequence of all of them. :)

Yeah I took off Skyfall and Breaking Bad because they're no where near the quality of the rest of what's being mentioned. I only felt the need to mention the 3 scenes I did because I hadn't seen anyone else mention them.

The scene in Jarhead had Gylenhaal and Sarsgaard finally getting to snipe someone until they are told not to by a superior officer who would rather airstrike the target. The two, Sarsgaard especially crumble having realized they contributed absolutely nothing to the war efforts since they arrived. The entire movie has Gylenhaal talking about a moment where he can release all of his frustration in a single pull of the trigger, but that moment was ultimately denied to him.

Also, yes, if you get the oppertunity give Blue Ruin a shot. It's not tremendous but it's definitely a great sophomore effort from Saulnier.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:20:36 PM by jmbossy »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 04:22:47 PM »
Blue Ruin is one of my favorites of the year. A bunch of fun, especially that scene.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
You seem to have a good grasp of what Jarhead was all about jmbossy. I think most of what the movie was trying to say went over my head at the time. Thanks for filling me in on the scene in question. :)

love