Author Topic: Listen Up Phillip  (Read 2653 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Listen Up Phillip
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:39:33 AM »
Has there ever been another film that's so literary? It wasn't as funny as The Color Wheel, but its just as good. I really hope this is nominated for a Golden Brick.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Listen Up Phillip
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
Yeah, Perry completely nails the milieu. Haven't seen his other efforts but this feels very in line with Baumbach's areas of interest as well - Squid and the Whale, Frances Ha, Kicking and Screaming.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:42:08 AM »
This is definitely more polished and ambitious than his previous effort, The Color Wheel. Helps that he has great actors to work with.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »
As I mentioned in my review, that shot of Elisabeth Moss after Philip leaves the second time is just astounding. Super great acting on her part. Loved the movie all around, but I felt it could have been maybe a few minutes shorter. There were a few moments of whiplash, mostly associated with the French girl later on where that relationship seemed like it stopped and started super abruptly. That was probably on purpose, but it took me a few minutes to get adjusted to it. Funny that this movie and Begin Again end in similar ways but with completely different tones (even if we are told that Philip continues to have great success in the literary world).
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 03:39:56 AM »
Has anybody been following the Mike Dangelo review thats been going on over at Letterboxd? It might be the longest thread Ive ever seen on Letterboxd.

http://letterboxd.com/gemko/film/listen-up-philip/#comment-981605

jmbossy

• Generally Critical
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:49:19 PM »
Has anybody been following the Mike Dangelo review thats been going on over at Letterboxd? It might be the longest thread Ive ever seen on Letterboxd.

http://letterboxd.com/gemko/film/listen-up-philip/#comment-981605

That conversation started with so much promise, but devolved pretty rapidly. I am interested in the broader discussion of the narration and its effects on the film, but quibbling over the narcissism and the intelligence of the writing only seems to further this conversation down its own rabbit hole. Why does every conversation on the internet have to revolve around these unnecessary and deflecting semantics?

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 12:15:08 AM »
Why does every conversation on the internet have to revolve around these unnecessary and deflecting semantics?

Because it keeps us from comparing each other to Hitler?
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

keith71_98

• Keith & the Movies
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 01:09:47 PM »
I liked the movie, but I do think it eventually wears out its welcome. About 3/4 of the way through I was really getting tired of these people. This undoubtedly is a testament to the characters and the performances, but I was ready for it to be over. I don't want to make it sound like a bad film. Far from it. It just spun its wheels in the same rut for a little too long.
Visit my Keith & the Movies site -
http://keithandthemovies.com/

jacobsever

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
I liked the movie, but I do think it eventually wears out its welcome. About 3/4 of the way through I was really getting tired of these people.

I had the opposite reaction. I nearly shut the film off around 15 minutes in, then again around 30 minutes in. I wasn't invested whatsoever. I didn't care about the characters, and I was completely, utterly bored. But I decided to stick it out, and ended up liking the movie more and more as it went on.

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 09:46:18 AM »
I was impressed by this film and the way it never lets Philip off the hook. He's an asshole who's so self-involved that he doesn't recognize how little he matters. Great work from Pryce and Moss in particular.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob