Author Topic: Noir-vember Group Marathon 2014  (Read 28157 times)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
Re: Noir-vember Group Marathon 2014
« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2014, 11:57:29 PM »
Should have left well enough alone

The Second Woman (1950) 5/10
Is it gaslighting? Is it psychological trauma? Is it something else? Who cares. It isn't really awful, just lifeless. There's an interesting premise and there are glimpses of the mysterious atmosphere it's trying to create, but most of the time it's just a plodding mess with boring leads.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2014, 12:53:31 AM »
Hope you guys don't mind me going a bit long. I started late so I think I'll try to catch a few more this week.

The Mob (1951) 9/10
Broderick Crawford is another one of those actors who I recognize, and who always gives a good performance, but who I always forget about. This one was rather fun; an investigation noir with a bit of a twist that works really well, has some really solid pacing, and good performances, including a nice little early role for Borgnine. Other than wishing the ending was a little better executed it's pretty flawless.

Rogue Cop (1954) 8/10
This one was pretty good too, Taylor is a bit hit and miss with me, but he's good here. The narrative and the dialogue could use a bit more punch, but they're both still effective. The whole thing just flows effortlessly through its beats and that makes for an enjoyable ride.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2014, 01:05:09 AM »
I don't mind if you're watching stuff like The Mob.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »
I know that I'm running late for this one, but I had this film on my shelf while my computer was in the shop, so I had no means to watch it.  I finally caught up with it yesterday.

The Lineup
A drug ring is using tourists on a ship from Hong Kong to smuggle drugs into the US by placing them into souvenir statues.  We go back and forth between the police tracking down the criminals, and the criminals gathering the drugs, leaving bodies behind them.

The police procedural is pretty dull, frankly.  The Lineup is based on a television show of the same name, which seems to have a Dragnet-like pace and tone.  What really shines in this film is when we focus on the criminals.  An older criminal is training a younger man to be a suave assassin, but the younger man's anger gets in the way.  There is a lot of character development for them, even the hired driver gets to shine.  Which is odd, because the police are flat as cardboard. 

I chose this one because it is in Martin's top ten noirs.  I can certainly see what he loves about it.   And if the whole film had been about the criminals, I think I would have enjoyed it more.  Still, a great time. 4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »
I don't mind the police procedural, but it's certainly nothing compared to once the criminals arrive.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #225 on: December 12, 2014, 10:35:44 AM »
I mean, yeah.  It's one of those movies where I can overlook some glaring flaws because I love the rest of it so much.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #226 on: December 12, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »
Think of the police segments as a rest stop so you can catch your breath after the criminal stuff.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

love