love

Poll

Please vote for ALL books you are interested in reading.

INVISIBLE MAN by Ralph Ellison - (pub. 1952; 581 pgs; literary fiction)
5 (20%)
FUN HOME: A FAMILY TRAGICOMIC by Alison Bechdel - (pub. 2006; 234 pgs; non-fiction - autobiography)
2 (8%)
THE MINOTAUR TAKES A CIGARETTE BREAK by Steven Sherrill - (pub. 2000; 313 pgs; fantasy)
2 (8%)
UNBROKEN: A WORLD WAR II STORY OF SURVIVAL, RESILIENCE, AND REDEMPTION by Laura Hillenbrand - (pub. 2010; 473 pgs; non-fiction - biography)
4 (16%)
THE PEARL by John Steinbeck - (pub. 1945; 87 pgs; literary fiction)
1 (4%)
IN THE DUST OF THIS PLANET by Eugene Thacker - (pub. 2011; 170 pgs; non-fiction - philosophy)
1 (4%)
CONSUMED by David Cronenberg - (pub. 2009; 304 pgs; fiction)
2 (8%)
NAKED LUNCH by William S. Burroughs - (pub. 1959; 289 pgs; literary fiction)
2 (8%)
BOSSYPANTS by Tina Fey - (pub. 2011; 275  pgs; non-fiction - autobiography)
2 (8%)
THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY: MURDER, MAGIC, AND MADNESS AT THE FAIR THAT CHANGED AMERICA by Erik Larson - (pub. 2002; 447 pgs; non-fiction - crime)
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: November 07, 2014, 04:11:08 AM

Author Topic: FS Book Discussion #3 - Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison  (Read 8517 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: FS Book Discussion #3 - Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »
Your reaction is interesting but I'm finding that modern writing, particularly in the areas of genre I love the most are increasingly bland, poorly plotted and generally operate on a surface level. So when you say that you "feel like I've read it" of the sort of candour, truth and honesty (if you don't treat those three imposters the same), then I'd like to know which modern stories you are getting those from.

Sorry I could've been clearer. It's the plotting that I find unsurprising and feel like I've read before. This character's experiences are ones I've seen in other books or films already. Mostly films. But it's the writing that I find uncommonly truthful, etc. I wouldn't know where else to look for such qualities though. It just seems like something you come across from time to time.

I think it's a book if you find what you're looking for in the first chapter or introduction, you can expect to find more of the same throughout. So in that sense it's definitely worth stopping by a used book store sometime and flipping through the first pages.

He really digs into the headspace. The character takes one step and writer writes two pages of the character's thoughts. There is much halting of the action to explore that inner monologue.

I think you would appreciate it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »
Went ahead and joined Audible and got Invisible Man as my selection for my initial/free month. I've abandoned the idea that I'll actually get around to reading it...not feeling in a very reading mood just now. If I don't get through the bulk of it at work in the next week, I'll probably manage it during holiday travels.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
I hope you opted for the Joe Morton one. :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »
I did (it was only option). It is a fascinating and hypnotic verbal performance, enjoyable to a degree just for hearing the rythmn of the writing. But...a quarter in I can hardly describe what has happened or is going on. I think this is gonna be an almost total loss. Hope others get something from it since I proposed it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 01:39:24 AM »
I'm about a third of the way through, and I can tell you that it starts making sense.  He stops being quite as prosaic and there is a plot rather than just social commentary.  I think we all just need to be a bit more patient with this one.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 08:56:12 PM »
I did (it was only option). It is a fascinating and hypnotic verbal performance, enjoyable to a degree just for hearing the rythmn of the writing.

Well said.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 09:57:45 PM »
I'm still kind of working through it, though I just got two other audiobooks from the library that have deadlines (and all the podcasts...I have to stop doing anything but listening to stuff, clearly).

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 02:08:15 AM »
After a break, I'm heading back in.  About halfway done.  One of the things I like about this book is that although white privilege is a main character in this book, it isn't the only thing that makes this man "invisible", or isolated.  He keeps trying to fit in and failing, usually because he doesn't understand the unwritten rules in each realm he heads in. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
He keeps trying to fit in and failing, usually because he doesn't understand the unwritten rules in each realm he heads in. 

I guess that's part-ways the point of the book. Do you find it gets a little repetitive though? Does it go on to break out of that pattern?

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »
Oh Jeez, can't be bothered to look back through the previous messages...is this back up and running?

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

love