Author Topic: Interstellar  (Read 13605 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Interstellar
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »
I get "I lied about the data so they'd come for me." That is a perfectly logical survival instinct sin. I don't get "I'm going to kill all of you and hijack the ship and go...somewhere." What, just get home because he was that desperate for being around people...but specifically not the three people who were there?

While I thought it sort of created one of the more interesting conflict, I kept thinking the same.. If he just came out and admitted that he only sent the message in the hope for help, they would have to take him with them and not just leave him there.

At least I saw it in a theatre that served beer.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 10:09:17 PM »
'We are not prepared for this' - deliberate reference to Inception where the same line is used or just a coincidence?

I enjoyed it in parts, but I really felt it was shaping up to be something fantastic - then it stumbled, right around the time that Damon made his appearance. Miscast in my opinion.

Way too much over-explanation as the film drew to a close as well, dialogue spelling out things that we can literally see on screen, or at least may pick up upon on rewatching the film.

McConaughey was great though, he really sold the emotional scenes. Some gorgeous visuals at times too. But too long and unrestrained, and it's to the film's detriment.

He was pretty amazing in the scene where he watches all the tapes left by his kids.

Harpo Speaks

• Cook'd and Bomb'd Comedy Chat Podcast
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 02:33:02 AM »
He was pretty amazing in the scene where he watches all the tapes left by his kids.

The film was on an absolute roll at that point - we'd had the understated world building at the beginning, the leaving the family/launch sequence, the ocean planet and the consequences of the time they lost there - and I was praying that the film could sustain itself at that level throughout.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »
I hate "funny" robots.

I hate the notion that if you dive into a black hole, you'll end up in a five-dimensional bookcase — instead of crumpled like a used tissue which is subsequently reduced to its subatomic components.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

SmashTheTV

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »
Yeah I thought the bookcase bit was so lame. Also how did his daughter realise it was him. She was just staring at the bookcase for 10 mins and without a real clue was like IT WAS HIM!

Overall I did enjoy this movie though.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »
I hate "funny" robots.

I hate the notion that if you dive into a black hole, you'll end up in a five-dimensional bookcase — instead of crumpled like a used tissue which is subsequently reduced to its subatomic components.

What did you think of the design of the robots?

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 11:29:11 PM »
I hate "funny" robots.

What did you think of the design of the robots?

Loved it.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »

We did go and see Interstellar on the BFI Imax when we were in London. Great venue. No so great movie. 15°
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Totoro

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »
The Dr. Mann character was the best part for me. I looooooooved the intercutting of him leaving Cooper to die while Murphy does a similar villainous ambiguously justifiable act in lighting the field on fire. Dr. Mann's speech about how he sees himself as testing Cooper cracked at the larger themes and questions the film has.

Then the rest of the film flatly ignores these themes and questions to be just another typical "gotcha!" mind bender (even though I predicted the library thing MILES away). Lame.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »
I could have done without the Mann character. He sure talks a lot, but that's not really what Nolan is good at and so it loses pretty much all of its punch. Also, it's the only part that my friend and I couldn't really wrap our heads around. His motivations are confusing even though he spends like 5 minutes (in the middle of a fight scene!) explaining what he's doing and why he's doing it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love