Author Topic: Whiplash  (Read 4293 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Whiplash
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:46:33 PM »
I don't think they mentioned it on the show, but the film totally glosses over a hit and run accident.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
Re: Whiplash
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
Well, I would say elides, rather than glosses over. There's a jump forward in the timeline following the accident and the bloody collapse at the drum kit, and we can assume that the accident and the other fallout from that day are dealt with (in fact, we see flashbacks to the expulsion letter). I think that was a good choice, actually: the accident and its immediate repercussions* could be a whole other movie.

Also, is it technically a hit-and-run if the person who was hit does the running?

* I'm not proud of my word choice here, just so you know.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:54:58 PM by don s. »
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
As frenetic and pulsating as its subject matter. Jam packed with a series of tense, boogie fueled, sweat and blood drenched scenes that you almost forget some of the more minor character elements, some of the direct dialogue delivery and some of the sheer ridiculousness of the plot which feel, in retrospect a bit tone-deaf*. But Christ, it's ALIVE.

* I'm cool with my word choice here, just so you know;)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 03:23:48 PM »
You're a big music fan, so do you feel it gets that side of it right. Films like Hedwig that love the music and get the vibe right. Does Whiplash do this well?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
yeah, one of the interesting parts, at least on the mix in the theater i was in, is that each time they start to play, it seems like the decision was made to drop most/all of the ambient sound and play a full studio mix of the sound. it really pops.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »
I wasn't going to see this, but my dad talked me into it, citing the great-sounding music. And he was right. That last scene with the full performance of "Caravan" was terrific.

Anyone who's ever studied music has a story about a fearsomely tyrannical teacher, so there's a slight shiver of recognition, though I think Fletcher's fortissimo* level of abuse is clearly preposterous. A lot of my music-academy-type friends on Facebook are boycotting the movie.

* Etc.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »
Anybody see this?

‘Whiplash’ Director Damien Chazelle Reveals What Might Have Happened After That Ending

http://www.slashfilm.com/whiplash-ending/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:34:34 AM »
Like Keith said it's alive.

So drop your girlfriend, exalt in being friendless, criticise people for not being totally committed and focussed in life, sneer at their compromises, walk over people and insult them as you do it ("Johnny Utah"),accept the help of people you have previously shafted and definitely lie, and you might attain greatness.

I love a message movie.

Good job.

Does Andrew even like jazz?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:40:39 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

jmbossy

• Generally Critical
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »
Does Andrew even like jazz?

I can't tell if the rest of your post was sarcastic (it seemed as though it was but i fundamentally disagree if it were, sorry but I'm just going to sideskirt that conversation) but i do think this is a really interesting prompt (sarcastic or not).

I wonder if Andrew simply sees jazz as the pinnacle of technical musicianship (from what I've heard from those musically inclined I could definitely believe it). Maybe he would enjoy playing the drums in a rock band more, but he would feel limited knowing the best jazz drummer will always have more technical skill tham the best rock drummer. It would make a lot of sense if these kinds of ideas existed in his mind before ever meeting Fletcher- I mean we know he doesn't have many (or, any really) friends. Maybe that's evidence that Fletcher's philosophies weren't so much drilled into Andrew as they were brought out. Interesting to consider imo.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:13 AM »
Yes they all know who Flectcher is before he picks them. It seems more encumbent on the musicians to be totally ready any time Flectcher calls on them. He himself represents the height of achievement, the best teacher out there. In that sense it's easy to put American Dream connotations on the film everyone wanting to be the best of the best/ what you have to do to reach the top. I saw Andrew very much alongside Bloom from Nightcrawler; two guys disconnected from normal life. So to put what is wrote in nicer terms; Andrew has to totally dedicate himself to his craft and a lot of the "I have no friends" moments are more like affirmations of "I have no time for friends"- he's just too busy.

It's an aspect of the film that I find completely admirable. It communicates this focus so well. Particularly the editing cuts at any extraneous moment quite ruthlessly. Even a life threatening accident is some kind of distraction from Andrews purpose.

To return tho to an idea that floats around; it's very difficult to empathise with the two lead characters. I admire their commitment but they are portrayed as strange beings, quite inhuman but fascinating rather than distancing. Is anyone turned off the film for the reason that there is nobody to care about. I mean there's the dad and the girlfriend ( good for her for moving on) but this film is about two people. If you can't like them does that make anyone like the film less?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:59:13 AM by verbALs »