love

Author Topic: Black Mirror  (Read 10293 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Black Mirror
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 03:16:06 AM »
Nosedive
A not-too-clever approach to social control by ranking.  Using internet rankings for other social factors we do use, such as wealth, popularity, job or number of posts on the FS forum, it makes a good point while keeping the tone light.  We are given the sermon that what people think of us isn't all that important, but I wonder that two people screaming F- YOU at the top of their lungs is really such an improvement.  We have left Britain and are now completely in American territory.  F- society, f- politeness, let's let our real opinions out.  Ummmm...

3.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »
San Junipero

Kind of wish this had stuck with the courage of its convictions and been LESS optimistic. Still, I guess it's good to occasionally be told technology might be savior, not just a harbinger of downfall, and this is one of the more truly inspired efforts.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 10:24:08 AM »
This is the first time Black Mirror's supposition of possible technology seems like a benefit to humanity, though I wouldn't be surprised if they made a Return to San Junipero that showed the possible abuse of such an idea.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 11:17:28 AM »
Well, Quagmire was the abuse.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 08:32:30 AM »
Men Against Fire

There is probably something to be had in this "They Live" inspired take on othering/dehumanization in the name of war. But this just isn't very artfully crafted.

I did appreciate the call back to Fifteen Million Merits.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:34:27 AM by Bondo »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 09:30:45 AM »
Hated In The Nation

So we're nominating this for a filmspot, right? A crafty melding of concepts, from Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed to bee colony collapse to drones to NSA spying (well, the Brit version). It would be easy to have this come off as unfocused and overstuffed, but the intersectionality of all the concerns is so effective it never feels distracted. As much as I love Fifteen Million Merits, this is definitely the more polished work.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 09:48:24 AM »
YES!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 01:24:43 PM »
Playtime

Appropriate for Shocktober, I got scared at the spider a couple times.  But the lead was so irritating I wanted to keep shutting it off.  I don't know if there was a single moment I felt he was a real person.  And the final twist wasn't so twisty, which wouldn't matter if there was any serious drama here. 

Shut Up and Dance
It felt pointless, but it's a good moral tale: don't give in to blackmailers.  They don't care if you hang.   Kenny was played well, I really felt his fear, and when him and Hector are together, they had a great connection that people would have when they are put in a horrible spot together.  I really want to know how Kenny was able to win that fight.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »
White Bear

As the place of greatest disagreement with 1SO in the series rankings, I decided to rewatch this one. I still very much don't like it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »
If I remember, our disagreement is a fundamental opinion about what the story is saying, which is not something likely to change. Still, I appreciate the attempt considering our rankings are very similar except for this one.