Author Topic: Christmas Day Plans and (Part 2) the Gifts We Got!  (Read 14384 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Christmas Day Plans and (Part 2) the Gifts We Got!
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2016, 09:53:05 AM »
ooh, I'd love to learn how to play Seasons!

I was given the game Splendor recently and it is an easy, pleasant game. It's a lesser Dominion, but it doesn't make my head hurt in it's strategizing and it's quicker to play. Nice for when you just want to hang out with a game.

MattDrufke

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
Zach "the fiance" traditionally buys a board game for my parents. The Wikipedia game has been surprisingly fun. Less surprisingly, Exploding Kittens is great for the whole family.

Exploding Kittens is my absoulte jam. Got it for my boy last year. We love it.
@ihatemattdrufke

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2016, 07:30:15 PM »
ooh, I'd love to learn how to play Seasons!

I was given the game Splendor recently and it is an easy, pleasant game. It's a lesser Dominion, but it doesn't make my head hurt in it's strategizing and it's quicker to play. Nice for when you just want to hang out with a game.

Tell me about it. Dominion can take a looong time to come around in the late game, depending on the cards. "+1 card +1 action" again and again. :))

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2016, 12:07:08 AM »
You might as well just go fishing when you finally finish! :))

oooh, look at your new card! That might move things along. Anything is possible.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2016, 12:35:09 AM »
:)) That's it.

MattDrufke

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2016, 12:22:56 PM »
Xmas Eve, I'll go to my mom's. We usually have a big party (suspended last year because of everything with my dad) and it's nice to see that we're doing it again.

Xmas day, I'll wake up with my son and girlfriend. We'll open presents and then have late breakfast with her mother and niece (in from Texas). My ex will pick up my son and then we'll all go see a movie.

Work on the 26th... boo.

Just wanted to say, in case I don't get a chance, how fortunate, lucky, grateful, and thankful I am to have this forum. It was a crap year for me, and being able to read and contribute in these conversations was a true blessing. Happy holidays to you all from wherever you may be.
@ihatemattdrufke

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2016, 04:11:07 PM »
That sounds like a great day for you and yours, Matt.  I know it won't be exactly the same with your dad missing, but family traditions often can outlive the participants and follow on to the next generation. 

Glad to have you here as well. 
Texan Down Under

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2016, 04:26:08 PM »
Nicely said, saltine.

Happy Holidays to you too Matt,

from another who's grateful to have this filmspotting community. :)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2016, 05:43:06 PM »
Happy Holidays, Sandy!

As to our Xmas plans, from tomorrow on we are wall-to-wall family until Jan 4th!  So tonight John and I are having a movie date in the city and staying overnight, eating at a place called Texas Smokehouse (I'll be the judge of that!) and seeing The Legend of Ben Hall, recommended by filmspotter Tim Opie, and playing only in the city.  Then returning to Redcliffe tomorrow to begin the festivities.

One thing about being the oldest in attendance, no one asks us to bring a dish, just lots of drinks all around which we are happy to do. We've been laying in wine and muscat and sparkling for weeks now so I think we're ready to party.
Texan Down Under

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2016, 01:38:58 AM »
It's more of a Christmas with friends this year for me. My sister is with her bf's family, and my parents are escaping all the extended family obligations (for once) by flying to Vegas, which I've been telling them to do for ages now. 7 Days in the Bellagio, lol. I'm burned out after 3 days in Vegas! Anyways, I bought them Cirque tickets for Ka, to go along with their tickets for O. I hope they have a good time. I'll be egg noggin' it with a friend's family, probably playing board games. :)

love