Author Topic: Currently Reading (2015)  (Read 5312 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Currently Reading (2015)
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 03:13:38 PM »
I hope to read Silver Screen Fiend. Tell me how it is.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 03:13:46 PM »
Leut us know how that Patton Oswalt book is. I'm interested but wary that it'll be too niche-focused based on the reviews I've read.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 03:35:34 AM »
Currently reading Circle of Light by Martin Middleman

It is book 1 of a trilogy written back in 1990, and it is so badly written. I am persevering, I just hate to not finish a book.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 01:01:42 PM »
I hope to read Silver Screen Fiend. Tell me how it is.

Leut us know how that Patton Oswalt book is. I'm interested but wary that it'll be too niche-focused based on the reviews I've read.

Not that great.  I'm getting pretty tired of Patton's comedic voice, and the way he describes everything in exaggerated tones as if it was the monumental event ever.  The modesty that always comes off as false, the overblown "I know I'm a nerd and it's awful but it's also great" thing.  I dunno, he was once my favorite comedian but at some point I turned on him.

The book is really just memoir and doesn't have a whole lot to do with specific movies.  There are a few semi-obscure references, but nothing too distancing.  It was interesting to read the thoughts of someone who has gone down a movie-obsessed rabbit hole similar to my own experience and came out the other side, but something was missing.

It is a quick read, though.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 02:39:53 PM »

About 80 pages in.  So far it's mostly Douglas's backstory, but there are some interesting anecdotes peppered throughout.  Like the FBI recruiter who would go to high schools and during interviews with the girls he would ask if they were virgins, as if that were part of the interview process.  If they said no, he'd ask them out on a date.  It's a sign of the times (early 70's) that the creep didn't get fired, just reassigned.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 01:47:10 AM »

There Was a Little Girl by Brooke Shields

I'm about a third of the way into this and it is really great. It is a kind of emotionally heavy venture, as the preface states its intention is to serve as a kind of obituary for her mother, to make up for the terrible one the New York Times ran. In examining her mother, and her relationship with her mother, her mother's alcoholism is a central factor. Tackling a difficult topic with grace is perhaps one reason Shields rose to be an effective advocate about postpartum depression (including a prior book). And yet even though it has these darker aspects, there is a pretty good balance, which is kind of her point in writing the story, her mother was had good and bad, and not necessarily in the ways people think.

Aside from this there is a lot to interest a cinephile as at least to this point there are a lot of stories of Shields experiences as an actress that really give an insight into the process, especially as a child actor. For me, the part I was most interested in was to hear her own view of Pretty Baby, since so much of the discussion about that seems skewed or second hand. Indeed, what I'd read, offering quotes from Shields was rather negative or regretful. In this form it provides a very different, nuanced response. She does bring up some troubling aspects of the production, but they are far removed from the question of the sexuality/nudity in the role. Ultimately she cites the reaction to the film, not the film itself, as the traumatic aspect that almost drove her out of a career that she would come to love. Hearing this from her resolved some concerns I had about my own promotion of the film, hesitant to praise the ends if the means were problematic, but ultimately it sounds like my response to the film is actually affirming the sentiment or intent of Malle and Shields. This will likely entrench the film more solidly in my top-100 going forward.

Anyway, even though one of the aspects I was most interested in has been covered, I'm definitely hooked on the book and will finish it out.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 09:26:13 AM »
Moved!
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 12:05:44 PM »
That sounds really interesting, Bondo.

I just picked up yesterday

50 pages into it - and it's going to be a tough, depressing read, content wise. But a necessary one, I think. I'm glad Krakauer is among those tackling the subject.

Sidenote: I've never thought much of Krakauer's writing - but the topics he writes about and the level of research he achieves rarely fail to compel.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
Interesting, I might have to add that to my list. Maybe I'll wait for your final word. I've never actually read a Krakauer book, just enjoyed the movies that follow. In a similar vein, I had wanted to see Kirby Dick's The Hunting Ground, focused on the topic (and after what he did regarding sexual violence in the military in The Invisible War) but it didn't stick around at the art house.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »

it's going to be a tough, depressing read, content wise. But a necessary one, I think. I'm glad Krakauer is among those tackling the subject.

This is how I feel, I know I'm going to read it, but it's going to be a tough subject.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/