love

Author Topic: Currently Reading (2015)  (Read 12084 times)

SmashTheTV

Re: Currently Reading (2015)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 05:36:13 PM »

My 3rd EC comics book from this lovely set. http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/the-ec-comics-slipcase-vol-1-2.html

I assumed Horror would be my favourite, but I tend to like EC Sci-Fi the most.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 06:27:42 PM »

I very much doubt this will change my mind, but it should be interesting

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 11:47:15 PM »
I would love to know if that description is accurate to your experience with the books. Not whether you found it bad or good necessarily, just whether or not it rings true.

For me it does tend to make the books an up and down affair. If the chapter you happen to be on isn't doing it for you it can drag. On the bright side you also know that the next chapter will likely be about something entirely different.

Does the third one involve them escaping into Spain? Or the second? They seemed to trudge rather than escape. I'd agree with staying immersed in the overall story because that would be the strength of the series; building to much more than the sum of its parts. Sometimes it felt like plot threads were going to get picked up later; the love interest, for instance. This would be a realistic treatment (sailor goes off to sea) rather than a dramatic one, but if your mind wanders (mine must have) you might feel lost jumping back in. However, you are right that each story was still self-contained enough to be enjoyable. It feels like the rewards would really kick in as the series gets into the later books. I wish I could read with that level of commitment. Blimey, isn't Master and Commander (the film's basis) book 13 or something?!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 05:20:10 PM »
I would love to know if that description is accurate to your experience with the books. Not whether you found it bad or good necessarily, just whether or not it rings true.

For me it does tend to make the books an up and down affair. If the chapter you happen to be on isn't doing it for you it can drag. On the bright side you also know that the next chapter will likely be about something entirely different.

Does the third one involve them escaping into Spain? Or the second? They seemed to trudge rather than escape. I'd agree with staying immersed in the overall story because that would be the strength of the series; building to much more than the sum of its parts. Sometimes it felt like plot threads were going to get picked up later; the love interest, for instance. This would be a realistic treatment (sailor goes off to sea) rather than a dramatic one, but if your mind wanders (mine must have) you might feel lost jumping back in. However, you are right that each story was still self-contained enough to be enjoyable. It feels like the rewards would really kick in as the series gets into the later books. I wish I could read with that level of commitment. Blimey, isn't Master and Commander (the film's basis) book 13 or something?!

The second book has them sneaking out of spain (trudging is the right word for it), the third one has Stephen captured at Minorca.

I have been surprised by a few things that have popped back up in the series that I thought were somewhat trivial at the time. Ships, names, etc. I hope that happens more and more as I continue.

Master & Commander is book 1 :) But even as far as book 3 I was recognizing moments that I thought were part of the film. The film kind of feels like a "best of". I expect I'll continue to come across nifty bits that were included.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 06:31:02 PM »
I'm starting Maus tonight.  I borrowed Maus I and Maus II from my brother in law, and we go to visit them in 3 weeks, so I figured that I would try to read them beforehand.

I read Maus I a few years ago and loved it. I remember the first page interactions between the Grandfather and Art Spiegelman standin character being so emotionally intense immediately. I need to check out II one of these days.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »

My husband got me a signed copy (by Robert Parker) of this novel. He knows I'm a big fan of Raymond Chandler, and this was his last book, partially written by Chandler before he died and finished by Parker.

This is in the long line of thoughtful book gifts my husband has given me.  He gave me a first edition of East of Eden (my favorite book) and a Ray Bradbury signed copy of Fahrenheit 451 (the first book we listened to together). 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 12:55:51 PM »
Sounds like you got yourself a swell guy there! Looks like a fun book, too!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
I'm in the middle of this:

but it aside because this came in at the library:

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
Sounds like you got yourself a swell guy there! Looks like a fun book, too!

:D
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

love