Author Topic: The Music of 2015  (Read 6231 times)

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
The Music of 2015
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »
The new year has started and I've already started my Spotify playlist!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: The Music of 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:25:46 PM »
2015 already being dominated by The Lone Bellow.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love

I didn't get this, and then suddenly I did. It just takes a while to appreciate... for the crisp drump patterns, sharp guitar riffs, fiery vocals and catchy hooks to sort of come together and prove that this is indeed the first great album of 2015. Then a few spins later, you're already doing wild air drums and belting out the choruses along with Corin Tucker with reckless abandon.

On "Hey Darling" they sing, It seems to me the only thing that comes from fame's mediocrity... pretty ironic considering how they themselves are a proof against that.

Check out the songs "No Cities to Love", "No Anthems", "Hey Darling", "Fade" if you're remotely interested.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:44:33 PM »
I'm liking 2015 so far considering it's just almost a month in. My running Top 10 for the year is shaping up rather nicely :) Can't quite decide which is the best album for January so far though. the Sleater-Kinney album I posted above or the new one from Lupe Fiasco:

Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth

I feel like the best hip-hop albums are those that are either able to lyrically provide a more chilled-out and level-headed perspective regarding typical rap themes; or, musically add elements not usually seen in hip-hop beats to make the material sound fresh and different.

While far from being a revelation or a diamond-in-the-rough, Lupe Fiasco succeeds on both those aspects with his new album, which is further elevated by the rhythmic and smooth flowing delivery that harmonizes perfectly with the beats. It's always refreshing for someone like me - who's outside of the hiphop fandom - to hear a rap album as musical and warm as this one.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:36:37 PM »

This is my first Sleater-Kinney album and I'm digging it a heck of a lot. It's not quite in my normal groove and that makes it all the more fun (which it totally is). When I listen at a place that isn't my work I'll totally be doing the air drumming.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
Glad you're enjoying it as much as I do!

I revisited it again yesterday (I'm trying to go through as many 2015 albums as I can so I hadn't listened to it since I posted about it) and it really is as catchy and fun as I initially thought it was. So far my 2nd favorite album of the year. Only trumped by this one:

Lights & Motion - Chronicle

Been a fan of this little-known Swedish musician since his debut a couple of years ago. His brand of post-rock is like Explosions in the Sky's structured progressions and majestic crescendos mixed with Sigur Ros' cinematic ambience and delicate melodies. It's a very appealing style of "cinematic crescendocore" to me, and I'm a huge post-rock fan, so this is easily album of the year for me so far.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »
The Offspring released a new song today. I don't think it's from an upcoming album. It's ok.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 05:29:44 PM »

I didn't get this, and then suddenly I did. It just takes a while to appreciate... for the crisp drump patterns, sharp guitar riffs, fiery vocals and catchy hooks to sort of come together and prove that this is indeed the first great album of 2015. Then a few spins later, you're already doing wild air drums and belting out the choruses along with Corin Tucker with reckless abandon.

On "Hey Darling" they sing, It seems to me the only thing that comes from fame's mediocrity... pretty ironic considering how they themselves are a proof against that.

Check out the songs "No Cities to Love", "No Anthems", "Hey Darling", "Fade" if you're remotely interested.

BBC Radio 6 had a one hour documentary on them today. I listened to about half of it, it was and sounded great.
I'll be honest I've never heard of them before, boy is my finger not on the pulse ???

The Story of Sleater-Kinney

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 07:06:45 PM »
I only got into them when they released their album before this one - 2005's The Woods - though that didn't quite stick with me.

My Top 10 albums so far, 1 month into the year:

1. Lights & Motion - Chronicle Post-Rock, Ambient

Like Explosions in the Sky's structured progressions and majestic crescendos mixed with Sigur Ros' cinematic ambience and delicate melodies, it's post-rock in "cinematic crescendocore" form at its best, where you could easily imagine a scene or a story unfolding - complete with its ensuing emotions and tugs at your heartstrings - just by letting yourself get wrapped around by the music.

2. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love Indie Rock

The fiery guitar hook of the title track, the wicked drumming on "No Anthems" that makes you do wild air drums yourself, the catchy chorus of "Hey Darling" you sing along to with reckless abandon, or the epic, anthemic closing track of the album... No cities to love? Maybe. On this album though, there are many.

3. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth Hip-Hop

I feel like the best hip-hop albums are those that are either able to lyrically provide a more chilled-out and level-headed perspective regarding typical rap themes; or, musically add elements not usually seen in hip-hop beats to make the material sound fresh and different. Lupe Fiasco succeeds on both those aspects with this album.

4. Aphex Twin - Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 Electroacoustic, IDM

A collection of some of the most warm and organic electronic music I've heard. It's beautifully dark and rhythmic - musical enough on its own way - but definitely a masterstroke of production and sound engineering, having beein done almost entirely with just a standard acoustic drum kit and an oddly-tuned grand piano.

5. Angelus Apatrida - Hidden Evolution Thrash Metal

They bring the glorious thrash from the 80's into today and along with it are modern-sounding chunky and meaty riffs emphasized by the clear, huge-sounding production values. Maybe not as memorably melodic as the thrash metal greats, maybe a bit too much Megadeth influence in parts, but Hidden Evolution is fast, heavy, and an enjoyable 50 minutes or so.

6. Viet Cong - Viet Cong  Post-Punk

Not sure what to say about this yet, honestly, but I like it.

7. Joshua Radin - Onward and Sideways Singer/Songwriter

There's the kind of smooth and sensitive folk-pop that is so sad and heavy that it feels like weeping on the gutter of a city street after a late night of drinking. Then there's the other kind - one that feels like taking a breath of fresh air while watching the sunny Sunday sunrise in the country. This is that kind of smooth and sensitive folk-pop. It sounds like if Damien Rice took a chill pill.

8. Subterranean Masquerade - The Great Bazaar Progressive Metal

A mix of songwriting/structure that's reminiscent of classic Dream Theater, with a lot of arabic folk influence that harkens to Orphaned Land, then some use of woodwinds that reminds me of Jethro Tull circa Songs From the Wood, and a soft-heavy dynamic with clean and growled vocals that can easily be compared to Opeth. Unlike a lot of prog acts that throw so many musical elements in the blender for a jumbled mess of music, Subterranean Masquerade intriguingly hits all of its cues perfectly in spite of the wealth of influences they bring to this record.

9. Mikky Ekko - Time Pop

Vocally, I can see a lot of comparisons being made to Sam Smith. But musically, this is a much more varied collection in terms of style and pace than anything Smith has out. A nice mix of R&B, rock, and folk coming together as an easy and satisfying pop record with Ekko dishing out a multitude of accessible hooks and anthems that I could definitely see hitting the mainstream charts.

10. Archgoat - The Apocalyptic Triumphator Death Metal

Hated this at first. The production is so damn stuffy and muddy, which exacerbates the deep, throaty vocals that sounds as if the words were being vomited out. But if you stick with it long enough, you start to appreciate the music as this thick and doomy wall of sound - with a nice sort of doom-vs-death soft/slow-heavy/fast dynamic - and realize that even if you don't dig the production or the vocals, there's little fault to be seen as far as the actual instruments and songwriting is concerned.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »
Loving the sound of the new K West song. Reminds me of 808s and Heartbreak, which is my favorite of his albums.