Author Topic: Who are you laughing at? (A thread about comedy)  (Read 6361 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Who are you laughing at? (A thread about comedy)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 03:14:52 PM »
I never knew I needed autistic humour so much. Thanks to Bondo for introducing me to Jim Jefferies.

I will note though, on a less enthusiastic note, that his was not the first stand up special where I have seen a dark comedian (as I am sure they are called) do a bit about how dark humour is not a horrible thing and the PC crowd who goes around vilifying as got it wrong on a scale that suggests their stick up their arse has reached their brains and done some damage. I cannot but be disgusted at the people who equivocate humour with actually condoning the practices it makes light of.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 01:39:29 AM »
James Acaster on Netflix. Some of the best Stand Up I've seen. And somehow there's 4 hours worth all at once? I've only watched the first couple "episodes" but I'm having a great time.

On another topic, what are peoples' favourite episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 03:11:12 AM »
James Acaster on Netflix. Some of the best Stand Up I've seen. And somehow there's 4 hours worth all at once? I've only watched the first couple "episodes" but I'm having a great time.

On another topic, what are peoples' favourite episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee?

The Norm McDonald episode
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 07:38:31 AM »

I think my absolute favorite is Carl Reiner/Mel Brooks. Such a sort of wonderful/hilarious story those two have together. Also really liked Steve Harvey, Trevor Noah and Aziz Ansari.

I did like Norm MacDonald too, I will second that one. Nothing rivals Jerry taking Christoph Waltz to IHOP (though overall it's not the funniest).

I would have to say that Fred Armisen is the biggest dud I've seen. Just have a few more left to watch myself.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 04:54:47 PM »
Also really liked Steve Harvey

That would probably be my favourite. :))

I love all the others mentioned too of course.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »
Adam Sandler: 100% Fresh

While in the film world it is generally the case that I grew up and Adam Sandler didn't, I found this a pretty refreshing set. It is definitely spotty and still distinctly juvenile, but it is extremely good-natured. These jokes are not at anyone's expense (except Sandler himself at times), they are just goofy fun. And it gets a bit dusty at the end. Definitely worth the time.