Author Topic: Who are you laughing at? (A thread about comedy)  (Read 11768 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Who are you laughing at? (A thread about comedy)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 03:14:52 PM »
I never knew I needed autistic humour so much. Thanks to Bondo for introducing me to Jim Jefferies.

I will note though, on a less enthusiastic note, that his was not the first stand up special where I have seen a dark comedian (as I am sure they are called) do a bit about how dark humour is not a horrible thing and the PC crowd who goes around vilifying as got it wrong on a scale that suggests their stick up their arse has reached their brains and done some damage. I cannot but be disgusted at the people who equivocate humour with actually condoning the practices it makes light of.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 01:39:29 AM »
James Acaster on Netflix. Some of the best Stand Up I've seen. And somehow there's 4 hours worth all at once? I've only watched the first couple "episodes" but I'm having a great time.

On another topic, what are peoples' favourite episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 03:11:12 AM »
James Acaster on Netflix. Some of the best Stand Up I've seen. And somehow there's 4 hours worth all at once? I've only watched the first couple "episodes" but I'm having a great time.

On another topic, what are peoples' favourite episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee?

The Norm McDonald episode
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 07:38:31 AM »

I think my absolute favorite is Carl Reiner/Mel Brooks. Such a sort of wonderful/hilarious story those two have together. Also really liked Steve Harvey, Trevor Noah and Aziz Ansari.

I did like Norm MacDonald too, I will second that one. Nothing rivals Jerry taking Christoph Waltz to IHOP (though overall it's not the funniest).

I would have to say that Fred Armisen is the biggest dud I've seen. Just have a few more left to watch myself.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 04:54:47 PM »
Also really liked Steve Harvey

That would probably be my favourite. :))

I love all the others mentioned too of course.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »
Adam Sandler: 100% Fresh

While in the film world it is generally the case that I grew up and Adam Sandler didn't, I found this a pretty refreshing set. It is definitely spotty and still distinctly juvenile, but it is extremely good-natured. These jokes are not at anyone's expense (except Sandler himself at times), they are just goofy fun. And it gets a bit dusty at the end. Definitely worth the time.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »
I saw Aziz Ansari live last night, with Matteo Lane and Phil Hanley opening. All three were very good. Ansari's set focuses heavily on grappling with wokeness and how it can tilt over into virtue signaling. He also had a good bit about kind of the fake news trend. Out of respect for the art I won't go into detail, but I do appreciate his grappling with the fact there are no easy answers in balancing things. The material seems fresh and maleable, referencing the R. Kelly and Michael Jackson documentaries. He does contemplate his own moment in the #metoo movement in a more serious moment, which probably was necessary having done sections on other these other celebrity reckonings. I do feel like the combination of his faltering not being as horrible or systematic (more fraught interpersonal relationship moment than predator), and his more humbled response should lead to him being granted forgiveness and the opportunity to remain in the privileged position of public figure.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2019, 12:46:04 AM »
I have not had a favorite stand up comic since Richard Jeni, but the more I watch of John Mulaney the more sure I am of his genius. this bit about the time he and a friend pranked a diner by playing Tom Jones’s “What’s New Pussycat?” on the jukebox 21 times in a row is the hardest I've laughed in ages.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2019, 06:36:20 AM »
Fun knock-off roller derby story. One of the derby guys was a manager at the skating rink and had access to the spotify account that provides music at the rink. During a practice (at a time he was out of state), he pulled the gag and remotely played What's New Pussycat like 5 times in a row much to everyone's confusion.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 01:26:45 AM »
I have not had a favorite stand up comic since Richard Jeni, but the more I watch of John Mulaney the more sure I am of his genius.

"I'm still not sure what my body is for...except taking my head from room to room."

love