love

Author Topic: Who are you laughing at? (A thread about comedy)  (Read 11769 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Who are you laughing at? (A thread about comedy)
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2019, 09:59:08 PM »
Finally exposed Mrs. 1SO to John Mulaney by showing her Kid Gorgeous, which was even funnier for me the 2nd time around. The funniest stand-up special since Eddie Izzard's Glorious. (This post makes no sense to me except to prove that comedy is subjective.)

The wife is now also a fan. We watched The Comeback Kid later in the day.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
Was curious what Bo Burnham was working on now but couldn't find anything specific.  So just re-watched parts of his specials over the weekend. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYy0o-J0x20
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2020, 08:44:10 AM »
I watched some of him again recently. Still holds up and I think his musical bits are consistently clever.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2021, 10:32:32 PM »
The new Brian Regan special is kind of blah.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2021, 01:32:20 AM »
Has anyone seen Neal Brennan's 3 Mics? I saw it when it first came out, but I think I need to revisit it.

First viewing, I had a hard time controlling my breathing during certain parts (the one-lines are INCREDIBLE), but also got misty-eyed during others. I felt like I'd found a kindred spirit in him, though it sounds like he's gone to even further lengths to managing his depression. TBH, I don't know how he handles the life of a creative as he does, I'm very impressed. I need a regimen or routine or life is extremely hard for me. Anyway, I can just feel everything this dude is saying...I think. Need a revisit!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2021, 07:08:16 AM »
The new Brian Regan special is kind of blah.

Sorry to hear that. I did enjoy the one before that a fair bit. I'll hope for the best I guess.

People should check out the James Acaster special on Netflix, all four parts of it. Maybe it will suit you. His comedy really does it for me. So refreshingly silly and non-current events based.

I really have no interest in anyone's COVID material, Trump, Politics generally, celebrities. Bleh.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:09:49 AM by smirnoff »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 06:57:19 AM »
Uncle Roger is quite popular here for his Reaction videos, usually when famous and not so famous people butcher local food.  He is Malaysian but the food is very similar to Singapore, and they can argue over the origin or which style is better.

this his reaction to some no locals making Chicken Rice which is one of the most common dishes you find in every hawker Center

https://youtu.be/DrNwCpSKz28

His channel is worth checking out, especially his take down of Jamie Oliver

https://youtu.be/t_KdbASIkB8
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 07:12:22 AM »
And just found a second reaction to Jamie Oliver trying to make Malaysian fish, closer to what it should be

https://youtu.be/zUi1YjYc7hg

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2022, 06:33:47 AM »
I watched Jimmy Carr's latest on Netflix. If you enjoy Jimmy Carr I would say it's a good special. Much stronger than the previous Netflix offering imo. But it's probably not going to win anyone over who isn't already at least agreeable to Carr's style.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2022, 12:49:06 PM »
I watched John Mulaney's opening monologue on SNL, and I wonder where people stand with him now? This was the first time I'd seen him since rehab, and his comedy hasn't dulled a bit, working it into his stories. But I know there's also controversy about how he left his wife, had a kid with Olivia Munn and maybe left her too. (I don't know, it's on Twitter, so I consider the source.) He his a joke involving the kid, but doesn't name Munn.