13 (1.5%)
The Wind Rises
20 (2.3%)
X-Men Days of Future Past
12 (1.4%)
[I've seen them all!]
3 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Filmspots 2014: Nominated Films Checklist  (Read 24504 times)

joshuaadavidd

• No hay banda! It's all a tape.
    • My Letterboxd Profile
Re: Filmspots 2014: Nominated Films Checklist
« Reply #200 on: March 10, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, but I figured I'd add my piece. I've watched all but six so far:

Citizenfour
Goodbye to Language 3D
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The Missing Picture
National Gallery
Two Days, One Night

2014 is my first year of really getting in the thick and trying to get a semi-complete view of the year in film. Not bad - I got to 115 films from 2014 (caveat: I am unmarried without children). I would have done more but I didn't get started in earnest until very late in the year.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #201 on: March 10, 2015, 09:15:36 PM »
If we didn't expect them to teach us something new then what would you think Junior is the point of watching them? To prove we already know everything we need to know? Prove how clever we already were?

Actually, yea. That last thing. Though not in the self-flattering sense you meant it in I think. :)

You may think "oh, this film came along and changed my view, or taught me this or that", but I think the film is merely the thing that came along and sorted out the information you already possessed (albeit in a nebulous mental form). The type was set, the film simply applied the ink and pressed it to paper. Who worked harder, the typesetter or the ink press? ;)

Films work best when you're already on the doorstep to coming to the same conclusion. When the circumstances of your life has tee'd it up just perfectly. Bam! It all falls into place. They don't work when the requisite beliefs and experiences aren't there.

Maybe it's not cleverness but fittedness. I always feel cleverer after a film was a good fit though, don't you? :)

My real point is I slagged the film off but I explained very precisely why it didn't work. Which returns me to the original point that got lost in all the tangents. If you want to slap a film give some considered insight. Please. You might be slapping someone's beloved movie and that ain't nice.

Just as you excuse a person for not seeing all films because time is finite, I think a person can be excused for not giving all films considered insight for the same reason. It's extremely time consuming! Don't you find that to be true yourself? :)

Is it better to say nothing in those circumstances? Open to discuss, certainly.

I think we do all want the same thing you want though. Constructive, considered insight, and good discussion. When there's time for it. :)

It is so often that I don't have energy to say why I personally disliked a film, or felt they were "meh" that I can't argue with someone who doesn't want to explain their reasons to me.

On the other hand, sometimes it takes a filmspotters pressing another filmspotter to elaborate for them to dig in. I sometimes find I don't bother writing a something detailed because I don't know who I'm writing it to. But when someone asks for a better justification that is the motivation I need to come up with a more detailed answer.

I do find as my free time diminishes I need to make better use of my time so I ask myself one simple question when starting a film, "am I enthusiastic to watch this?" If the answer is no, it is probably a sign I should find something else to watch where the answer is yes or do something else with my time (either something enthusiastic or something responsible that I actually need to get done).

The upside, is if I hold to this, I'm likely to be watching movies in a better frame of mind than "I guess I have to watch this, ugh."

That's why having a watchlist can sometimes feel pointless. Because when push comes to shove nothing on the list is what I want to be watching right now. Or maybe I just need to make better lists. :)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2015, 05:11:24 AM »
Hmm. Looking at the spreadsheet on my desktop I'm at like 6,000 movies seen and I still don't have THAT much of a handle on what I'll dislike, short of Cameron Diaz movies.

Am I the only person that likes watching movies, even when I'm kind of disliking them? Maybe its just being the type of person that only gets 6 hours of sleep, but I try to kick back with a beer (or 5) and watch something almost nightly once the rest of the family is asleep. It's a fun little hobby/routine, even when the movie kind of sucks.

Nope, but I find I generally like most (but definitely not all) movies, I kind of enjoy bad movies, it just means it requires less thinking, which means I get a more relaxing time.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2015, 05:45:37 AM »
I felt I covered this.

Given the choice between a good film and a bad film, which one would you choose? Do you just feel you can't find good films sometimes. The world is packed with information. Connecting my own tastes with that information seems the most natural thing in the world. Director, writer, theme, actor...on and on. There's  website for taste matching out there. You say what films you like, it gives you lists of films you might like as well. You don't have to go follow that list,but you can google a film's name and get a very good sense of how you might feel about it.

Jared is saying sometimes he likes kicking back more than he's worried about the quality of the film. I like that idea too. Films on TV. It comes on, you watch it. No brainer. Just to show how I feel generally...I hate that passive imbibing of television. Flicking channels is a grotesque idea to me. Yeah I feel that strongly about it. The entire idea behind movie watching in this internet age is that you can pick precisely what you want and get it straight away. There isn't any need to watch what they serve up. Passivity, yuck. I still don't mind the idea- beer, tv, sofa....good times. I tend to do that with football (our kind); background noise until a goal is scored. I'm a hypocrite! ;D

It's the idea of passivity in any form that makes me very uncomfortable. Switching off the brain (that's what they want you to do...you know.....THEM :o). Do it cos you need to, not because you don't have a better idea at the time.

I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2015, 05:32:46 PM »
For anyone interested, National Gallery just showed up on KG.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
That's all you had to say.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2015, 01:20:34 AM »
I don't believe that to be correct.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2015, 02:51:42 AM »
Ugh it was taken down apparently because it wasn't up to KG quality standards. How dumb.

I got it before it was taken down.
PM me if you are interested in acquiring it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:12:06 PM by Beavermoose »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »
Oof, 21 Jump Street. Gonna be a fight to catch up... those Netflix +s though will all be knocked out.

22 Jump Street
The Babadook
+Bird People
+Blue Ruin
Calvary
Edge of Tomorrow
Frank
Godzilla (you people!)
How to Train Your Dragon 2
+Ida
John Wick
The Lego Movie