love

Author Topic: Better Call Saul (AMC)  (Read 6323 times)

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
Better Call Saul (AMC)
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:34:30 PM »
It airs the premiere tonight after The Walking Dead and then a new episode tomorrow which will be the regular time slot. I know we have a lot of Breaking Bad fans here, who's tuning in? Any expectations?
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Better Call Saul (AMC)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 10:45:24 PM »
It was a good start, though obviously there are markings of BB that make me wary. The key difference is that Saul is the most engaging character on BB, so seeing how they flesh out his personality and further illuminates his role in that series is where my interest is found at present.

Definitely going to be interesting to see if they go linear (outside of that post-BB introduction) or jump around to different points. We'll see how the action and plot progress as well, because if it plays more like BB then I guess I'll grow a bit more concerned. The attempts at comedy were also generally more bearable, which is likely a result of the tone that character carries with him. Odenkirk is a comedian, and he always does bring the most out of all of his scenes. I am excited to see more and will continue to watch until the show gives me a reason to stop.

Thinking about the show as a product of expectation. There are some people who think BB is one of the best shows ever made, perhaps even the best (though I think that silly talk has since died down and hopefully with its conclusion approaching we can finally anoint MM), so doing too much to emulate BB puts it in a strange position, while breaking too far from form risks alienating the built in audience. You also have the comedy and drama elements. BB got ridiculous in its own way all the time, but given the tone established through Saul as a character and from the first episode throughout, the comedy seems to be a lot more pronounced. But it is an hour show so one would expect the more dramatic aspects to be played up as it continues, along with how that first episode ended. I guess we'll see. It currently feels like it exists in a strange space.

Either way, doesn't seem like Skylar has any reason to be in this show, so it's already better than the entirety of BB.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 01:03:05 PM »
This started out a bit slow and I agree with FLY's wariness this was a solid first ep.  If you enjoyed BB you will enjoy this first installment, and a second one tonight, which has all of Odenkirk's sly, comedic work of Saul Goodman with the backdrop of the original Jimmy McGill.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 03:32:08 AM »
Its not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Does anybody know the theme song that plays at the beginning of the show?

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »
I'm finding this a lot more interesting than I expected to when it was announced. I think it may be able to do well over the long haul, with a few BB characters dropped in here and there. The Tucco appearance felt really quick, but I can see why they did it so quickly. It connected to BB and had moments that felt similar, yet it still worked because Saul is so different. I'm curious to see where it goes.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:18:01 AM »
I'm loving the show. It's like Breaking Bad but it's not. I don't know where it's going to go and what'll happen but I feel like i don't even have to try to like it. I already do.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »
I've seen two episodes and I liked it, but I'm probably watching it with a different eye than the rest of you - I ain't seen Breaking Bad ::), but now I've got Netflix I'm planning to watch it soon.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 02:36:32 PM »
Its not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Does anybody know the theme song that plays at the beginning of the show?

I believe it's an original theme. Wikipedia says it's composed by the group Little Barrie.

My Switchboard

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
In the most recent episode, Bob Odenkirk's reaction to the secessionist client asking if he would like his $500,000 retainer in cash was one of the funniest bits of comic acting I've seen in a great long while.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 07:15:20 PM »
Tony the Talking Toilet. Nuff said.

My Switchboard

love