love

Author Topic: Survivor 30 - Worlds Apart  (Read 4982 times)

MattDrufke

Re: Survivor 30 - Worlds Apart
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »
Just caught up with this episode last night, and I'm really excited to see where this season leads.

Kudos to Jen for having even a little foresight. How often do we see people voted out and holding an idol? Glad to see she had the wherewithall to use it.
@ihatemattdrufke

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »
I know! The show inserts that pause to ratchet up the tension, and I was getting nervous. She still has an uphill battle, but I don't think the No Collars are done.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

MattDrufke

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »
I do find it insane how Rodney has managed to make allies out of first Joaquin and now Will. Do neither of them see what an insufferable twit he is?

As long as Will has decided to jump ship and help Rodney work on his plan, the votes of the white collars will continue to be essential as this season moves on.

I'm giving credit to Rob Burnett for making this season very interesting (also loving this season's Amazing Race).
@ihatemattdrufke

dheaton

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 01:43:01 PM »
I think the big star is Lynn Spillman, who does all the casting.  This feels so much different than last season because there are so many great characters.  Rodney is ridiculous, but I think he's okay at building alliances with people. We're seeing the crazy highlights, but maybe he's less nutty? He is such great TV, so I hope he sticks around.

MattDrufke

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 07:11:08 AM »
First off, and I forgot to mention this earlier, Merica may be the worst tribe name in the history of this whole show. Every time I see it, I cringe and wish someone had stepped up and said something.

Loved last night's episode. Can't help but find myself actively rooting for Joe. Dude is competing for his life every time and winning. I remember a couple of seasons ago when one guy won every immunity challenge after the merge, and while I don't think Joe can do that, it's probably the only way he stays in the game.

That being said, I do not understand why Will and the white collars (incidentally, Will & The White Collars is a great name for a blues band) have decided to side with the blue collars. Is it that they find Shirin so annoying? (also, I don't find her all that bad; she just has a lot of energy) It seems like these past weeks have been the prefect time to make big plays and start picking people off with blindsides, but they just want to seem to trust Mike, who I have found a lot more likable as the season has progressed.

Also, nothing was better than watching last night's immunity challenge, as Rodney barely got past the first challenge as Joe was finishing.
@ihatemattdrufke

MattDrufke

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »
Since we're in the home stretch here, I thought I would rate the contestants by who I think has the best chance to win. Here we go:

#10: Rodney
Sure, he may be the most entertaining person on the show, but I can't think of a contestant so disliked (in recent memory) who has had a chance to win. Also, to win, he's going to need to pull of the blindside of Mike (and probably Tyler), which leaves a grand total of zero people on the jury voting for him.

#9: Shirin
Perhaps if she had started with the no-collar tribe, she would've had a real chance to be something in this game. To me, she just seems like someone who wants the Survivor experience so badly: she wants to walk around nude and go on cool reward field trips. But she didn't make any friends on the white collar tribe, so the narrative was written: Annoying. And I don't think she'll be able to overcome that.

#8: Dan
Dan went out of his way last night to point out how "Flippers never win." Which may be true, but total douches don't either. Same thing with Rodney: Where are the votes going to come from?

#7: Will
Maybe Will gets to the final jury. Someone like him always does, and tries the, "Hey, all I could do was sit back and let people come to me and take advantage of it" line, which a winner does not make. Perhaps the most forgettable player of this season.

#6: Jenn
I'm rooting for her, because she made an amazing idol play last week, and she seems very intelligent. But she's on the wrong side of a numbers game, and without a big move fast, she's looking at nice seat on the jury.

#5: Sierra
I've never liked players who say they're going to make huge blindsides, only to not pull the trigger when the time comes. All she's wanted to do was get rid of Rodney and Dan, and all she's done is fail to put into motion any sort of plan to do so (and I believe there may have been real opportunities for her). Gotta have some guts to win, and she just doesn't seem to have them.

#4: Joe
The first moment he slips, he's gone. It might even be a unamious vote. No one wants to be on a final jury trying to plea their case next to the likable guy who made friends and won everything. He's #4 because I don't know who votes against him, and maybe he gets the right combination of luck and skill to win every challenge.

#3: Tyler
Has it been revealed yet that this dude was in the NFL? Granted, he was a placekicker/punter, but he's looking to be one of the pro athletes who has gotten the farthest. Smart guy who is a clear strategy thinker.

#2: Carolyn
Ahhh..... Mama C. She made a nice move aligning herself with Mike & the Blue Collars after the merge, and her idol can keep her in it. Plus, the immunity challenge last week shows that she's got the gumption to hang with the big boys. Would love to see her orchestrate some sort of big blindside and show she's got the skills.

#1: Mike
Had you told me that the guy eating scorpions and yelling at his tribe for not doing anything might have the best chance to win four weeks ago, I would've said you were crazy. But he's my current front-runner. He seems to be the voice of reason for the blue collars. He hasn't made any enemies, short of Rodney. He has an idol. I think he's going to figure out what the Rodney/Will/Tyler contigent have planned and start making moves early. And when he has to plead his case to the final jury, he's made enough moves (and done so pretty openly and honestly) to not have anyone be too angry with him.
@ihatemattdrufke

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 11:31:55 AM »
I'm actively rooting for Jenn (who could totally be a character in a Noah Baumbach film) and Joe, but I'm not liking their chances because, like everyone season, there's always the one contestant who keeps teasing the big move that would save the players I like, but they almost never do it until it's too late.

That's Tyler this season, of course.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

MattDrufke

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 11:52:47 AM »
The "Rodney moment" from last night came from his ridiculous way to try and get Joe to take him with on the reward. "Yo, bro, I've barely eaten..."
@ihatemattdrufke

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 01:59:43 PM »
"I'm the realest guy here."
"I f—king hate you."

:)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

dheaton

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »
The "Rodney moment" from last night came from his ridiculous way to try and get Joe to take him with on the reward. "Yo, bro, I've barely eaten..."

Love Rodney!  I'm not rooting for him, but there's a morbid side of me that wants to see him make the end. He's such good TV!

love