love

Author Topic: Once Upon a March in the West - 2015  (Read 33515 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Once Upon a March in the West - 2015
« Reply #260 on: April 02, 2015, 12:19:56 AM »
102, with only 38% coming from me.
Still, you had three times the amount of anyone else.
Is that really so different from any other monthly marathon?

Not really.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2015, 01:48:42 AM »
Waiting for the words. Considering re-watching Broken Arrow.

Some words about Broken Arrow. :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2015, 08:31:59 AM »
I was hoping you were talking about the Travolta/Slater opus, i.e. the one I've seen.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #263 on: April 06, 2015, 08:51:06 AM »
 :D

I've not seen that one, but I feel like I have because of the Film Sack review. So much fun!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2015, 11:32:09 PM »
I have never seen a movie which so well represents the process of enemies obtaining a truce, and the process of creating peace from the hard work and sacrifice of a single individual, to the blind prejudice of one side to another, to the begrudging trust between leaders, to the rebellion of minority groups.  It treats the Apaches as equal partners in this peace, as it must be for a true representation to be given.

I re-watched Broken Arrow again today, expecting to brew up some debate or perhaps an apology for not recognizing its greatness the first time around. My reaction was about the same, and now I see why I didn't write about it the first time. It's not a film where I have much to say, certainly no strong points about it. There's nothing said by oldkid or Sandy that I disagree with. The film just didn't impact me. So I respect what it's doing, but because it's only modestly entertaining at best the viewing comes off too much like a school history lesson.

I wonder if this reaction can be blamed on the romance. Meant as the strongest emotional plot and proof of the connection that White Man and Apache are truly the same, Stewart and Debra Paget have no chemistry. He's an instant wet sponge around her and she's never more than a pretty face. There is barely the impact of her crossing against the tribe to be with Stewart. That conflict lasts for about half a scene. Between them, they connect instantly and woo passionately, though they never exhibit a moment of genuine connection.

Their dynamic, and indeed too much of the film, is right out of John Carter (just to name a source that came out before this, instead of saying Avatar and Dances With Wolves.) It's one of Stewart's blandest characters, with little motivation for his actions. He is simply the hopeful symbol of peace. (That being said, I can see why oldkid loved it. He has an affinity for characters who are trying hard to transcend their rough natures and become "the shepherd.") I love a lean film, but perhaps this one could've benefitted from more unease between Stewart and his fellow white men, as well as more unease among the Apache. It all happens too fast. I started to speculate that Cochise was simply tired of the fighting, but it's never discussed. Too many bullet points and not enough discussion.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #265 on: April 07, 2015, 12:16:17 AM »
A few times during scenes with Stewart and Paget, my daughter said, "Ewww, he's so old." :))

I agree with you about the movie moving through the points rather quickly. I appreciated it when I didn't have to watch him learn the language and costumes, but would have liked to see more of the conflict you mentioned. Thanks for watching it again. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #266 on: April 07, 2015, 01:30:47 AM »
Can't disagree with you about the chemistry of the romance.  I'm surprised that I didn't mention it in my review.  But the chemistry between Stewart and Chandler was fantastic enough to make up for it.

The other thing I loved about this movie, besides the peace making theme, is the effort for cross cultural understanding.  Both are big happy face time themes for me.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky