love

Author Topic: Just a thought  (Read 1988 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Just a thought
« on: February 23, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »
Was thinking during all the Oscars hubbub: Instead of breaking things down by Actor and Actress, what if there was just a Best Lead Performance category with ten nominees as well as a Best Supporting Performance?  Obviously the major award shows want to give as many trophies to performers as possible, but I'd be interested to see how things panned out in the Filmspots.

jmbossy

• Generally Critical
Re: Just a thought
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »
I wouldn't be apposed to the idea, but I think it may be a little too soon to implement something so equal opportunist; there really aren't as many good female roles as there are male ones, and I wouldn't want to see a nominations ballot of 8 men and 2 women.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »
I've always wondered why acting was the only thing separated by gender. Rather than combining, I'd rather there be more separation. If movie studios thought they could get more prestige by winning a Best Female Director Oscar or Filmspot maybe a few more movies would be made aiming toward that.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:35:46 PM »
Well, maybe you stop dividing it on gender and start dividing it on genre, which the Golden Globes does already (in addition to gender).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »
Love the idea, philip!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 12:28:53 PM »
I wouldn't be apposed to the idea, but I think it may be a little too soon to implement something so equal opportunist; there really aren't as many good female roles as there are male ones, and I wouldn't want to see a nominations ballot of 8 men and 2 women.

I wouldn't want to see that either, but it would also be interesting to see how it shakes out knowing that this is a very open, extremely well-watched (I guess that's the movie equivalent of well-read?) forum.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »
Well, maybe you stop dividing it on gender and start dividing it on genre.

I've always wanted to do this. I enjoy reading a Top 10 action/horror/comedy/sci-fi/fantasy etc. of the year type of lists. Although I sadly don't see enough films each year to perhaps always warrant five nominees in each category (also my favorite nominations are always the Saturn awards  8))

That being said, I'm quite comfortable with how the Filmspots are now and wouldn't want to make it more complicated.

As for a performance category... I personally like the separation of Actor and Actress for the reason jmbossy said. It's unfortunate that I don't see enough films with female leads. I realize that is something that I can personally rectify, but at the same time... The movies I often want to see just so happen to often have a male lead.

Huh... Looking back of the three films I saw that had female leads- Gone Girl, The Theory of Everything and Wild, two of them also had a male lead as well.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 12:54:24 AM »
I would like to open Best Surprise up to more than just films. I'd like to include performances as well.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 04:05:28 AM »

I think this... and what happens if 3 years in a row the men win it even if you required some kind of even split of nominees.  It would kick off more discussions on biases. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »
Medal system. Gold, Silver and Bronze. Three winners instead of just two.  :)