love

Author Topic: Coherence  (Read 1821 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Coherence
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:37:58 PM »
Anybody seen this one? Seems like a good one to pick apart here. Its the kind of film I wish Christopher Nolan still made.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Coherence
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »
quite a few of us like it. Here's my review. I wouldn't compare it to Nolan so much as Shane Carruth, if he wasn't into aping Malick.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:32:14 PM »
Carruth is way more interesting than Malick. :P Neither of those comparisons seem very close to me though. Coherence is much too sloppy for Carruth, and quite a bit more fun.

Like a lot of small-budget and high-concept movies, I think Coherence stretches it's credibility a little bit too far, but manages it better than most. I've heard about how a lot of the production was improvised with the actors loosely following outlines rather than scripting everything out, and I think that's both one of it's biggest strengths (in the moment to moment interactions) and weaknesses (in the overall arcs). It ends up being a solid piece of entertainment though, and there are some genuinely clever ideas that I give them a lot of credit for.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
I can agree with you about the films strength and weakness, though the strength wins out by enough that I can recommend the film without hesitation. For all the podcast tries to do to discover films and have their Golden Bricks, it's a real shame this one still flew under their radar.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »
Yeah, I would totally recommend it still. Did Coherence play theatrically at all? I don't remember hearing anything about it until it was already stream-able, and I wonder if that's why it didn't get as much attention.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 06:14:52 PM »
I can agree with you about the films strength and weakness, though the strength wins out by enough that I can recommend the film without hesitation. For all the podcast tries to do to discover films and have their Golden Bricks, it's a real shame this one still flew under their radar.

Yeah, this would have been a perfect Golden Brick candidate.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »
Coherence didn't do much for me.  It had been too soon since I watched It's a Disaster, a much better film with a similar initial premise.  I didn't have trouble following it since I'm used to reading parallel universe stories, but it just made things complicated instead of dramatic.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jacobsever

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »
Coherence was my 3rd favorite film from 2014. I've seen it 4 times, once in theaters with the director for a Q&A. I'm really bummed they didn't talk about it/mention it at all on the podcast. I would have loved to see it nominated for the Golden Brick last year.

love