Author Topic: Top 5 Movies Over 3 Hours Long  (Read 11113 times)

Dr.RoButtNik

• Action A Go Go
Re: Top 5 Movies Over 3 Hours Long
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »
I'm going VERY obvious with this list, but it's just true for me.  I rarely see a 3+ hour movie that couldn't have afforded to be a bit shorter.  But more importantly... longer movies tend to move to the bottom of the queue for obvious reasons.

5. Barry Lyndon
4. Apocalypse Now
3. Lawrence of Arabia
2. The Godfather, Part II
1. Seven Samurai
Weirdness was all he cared about.  Weirdness and sex and something to drink.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
1. The Green Mile
2. The Wolf of Wall Street

My archenemy has finally revealed himself!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
1. Fiddler on the Roof
2. Dances with Wolves
3. Schindler's List
4. Gone with the Wind
5. The Godfather, Part II

HM: Magnolia, Intolerance, JFK, Titanic, Seven Samurai, Gods & Generals, Gettysburg, Lawrence of Arabia, Kingdom of Heaven (DC), Apocalypse Now
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
Kingdom of Heaven DC is just off my list. Really great movie.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

keefey45

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 01:07:16 PM »
1. The Green Mile
2. The Wolf of Wall Street

My archenemy has finally revealed himself!

pixote

That's right, pix! It's me! It's been me the whole time. HAHAHAHA!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Seven Samurai
Redbeard  (I didn't know it was over three hours, it certainly didn't feel like it)
Lawrence of Arabia
The Decalogue (if you can do a miniseries, so can I)
The Human Condition
Les Miserables (1934)
Fanny and Alexander (tv version)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:09:15 AM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »
Watchmen (director's cut)

I can be bothered to think of others after that.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 11:25:21 PM »
I started this Topic with my list of Top 5 Movies Over 3 Hours Long. Now I wish to list my 10 Longest movies that I love. It's such an interesting subject to me, how we can devour seasons of a TV show but a feature longer than 2.5 hours needs to justify itself worthy of your time. I am guilty of this as well and cannot explain the mentality. And once a film has proven itself to be indeed Great, how likely are we to revisit these masterworks in our lifetime?

The Human Condition (9hrs 47min, 1 Viewing) - The longest and best film among this group. One I will certainly watch again. Despite the emotionally crushing material, I still have happy memory of my time viewing this film, which was done in chunks but I never had trouble getting pulled back into the world. 
Shoah (9hrs 26min, 1 Viewing) - As a fan of Siskel and Ebert this was one of the first long films that hung over me for many years like a cloud. I don't remember what finally got me to watch it, and it appears I never wrote about the film, but Shoah lived up to the hype.
John Adams (8hrs 21min, 3 Viewings) - Technically a Mini-Series, though a number of this type appear on lists of long movies. I own John Adams on Blu-Ray and among the list, this is the easiest to watch, perhaps because of the episodic format.
Satantango (7hrs 30min, 1 Viewing) - I took months to prepare to watch Béla Tarr's Werckmeister Harmonies (a brief 2hrs 25min, 3 Viewings). My ability to adjust to what Martin calls "Tarr Time" means I can easily enjoy his films and look forward to watching more of his filmography, though I understand why others find him so daunting. As I go back through my Essentials, I will not be re-watching this one, but its placement is assured and I will return one day.
Scenes From a Marriage (4hrs 43min, 1 Viewing, though I have seen the shorter version 4 times) - It's not that I prefer Bergman's longer cut, but I find the story so absorbing that the shorter version, while just as enthralling, is less of a great thing.
A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Cinema (3hrs 45min, 3 Viewings) and My Voyage to Italy (4hrs 6min, 1 Viewing) - Two film school classes in documentary form taught by Martin Scorsese. What's not to love? I bet these would pass the time great on an airplane.
Hamlet (1996) (4hrs 2min, 2 Viewings) - The movie that inspired this post. Almost 20 years between viewings, and just as Essential now as it was then. I remember that after my first viewing I read the play. There are still sections I don't understand, but I love the words and the way the actors deliver the dialogue I feel I perfectly understand what they are saying.
Gone With the Wind (3hrs 58min, 3 Viewings) - Probably the epic that scares everyone. It's to the film's credit that opinions tend to fall not too far from the hype. The 2nd half isn't as good as the first, but the cast is excellent and the production values retain their landmark sheen.
Love Exposure (3hrs 57min, 4 Viewings) - Audacious and goofy, this one benefits from being cut down from its original 6-hour length. The pace is ridiculously swift against the running time and it's just so nutty it's hard to be bored.
Lawrence of Arabia (3hrs 36min, 2 Viewings) - The other daunting classic you grow up with. This one does make your butt numb over the running time, but it's a beautiful masterwork which mostly lives up to the hype, though I think it also reinforces people's reasons against long movies.

And Here Are Some Acclaimed Films I Can't Yet Bring Myself To Watch:

Heimat: A Chronicle of Germany (15hrs) - This is compounded by the rest of the Heimat series, so if the running time isn't daunting enough there are the other films in the series that bring the running time up to 53hrs 25min.
Out 1, noli me tangere (12hrs 9min) - I am not a fan of Jacques Rivette, who tends to run off on unusual tangents that leave me behind.
Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (9hrs 11min) - There isn't a single thing about this Documentary from China that interests me at the moment.
War and Peace (1966) (7hrs 7min) - If I am to watch a version of W&P, it will probably be the 1956 version which is only 3hrs 28min and stars Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda
Carlos (2010) (5hrs 34min) - Like Jacques Rivette, I'm not as big a fan of Olivier Assayas as most. This is the most accessible and certainly generated a lot of discussion on the Boards, but I don't care to commit to that much of a director I have yet to appreciate.
Les Misérables (1934) (4hrs 41min) - I hear this is the definitive version of the Victor Hugo novel, but I've already seen 2 other films and read the book. Given the choice, I would rather spend the time re-watching something from my first list, or 2-3 movies I haven't seen.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 11:38:16 PM »
This reads like a list of movies I'd love if I gave them the time, which is I guess your whole point. I have become more selective in my movie viewing because I have less time to dick around than I used to have. That also means, though that when I do watch a movie, I want it to be great. These sound like they wouldn't disappoint. I'll keep it in mind.

You already know what would top my list here.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 11:51:35 PM »
I almost mentioned Fanny & Alexander when I wrote about Scenes. While Scenes is great in both forms, I found F&A to be a disaster in the shorter version.

love