Author Topic: The Last Man On Earth  (Read 2770 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
The Last Man On Earth
« on: March 09, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »
Anybody else watching this I caught up with it on Hulu, its really good.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
Re: The Last Man On Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:03:59 AM »
I like Will Forte in it. I don't know how much i like Kristen Schaal and her character.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:32:05 AM »
I love this show so much so far!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »
I like Will Forte in it. I don't know how much i like Kristen Schaal and her character.

This is the danger of the show.  The two lead characters are starting at different extremes... but Schaal's extreme comes off as uptight, irrational and delusional, while Forte seems uncouth, lazy and thoughtless.  Guess which one the majority of the viewers are going to relate to better?  The show has already started to bring them both closer to the middle, though, so I think Schaal's initial impression as shrill (and possibly psychotic) will fade quickly.

I'm not sure how I feel about the twist at the end of the most recent episode.  It feels too soon.  Comedically the timing was good, but in terms of plot development I don't need them to rush it so fast.

MattDrufke

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:45:18 PM »
I only watched the first 2 episodes so far, but I really like it.

Curious as to what you think about this criticism from Huffington:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/02/last-man-on-earth_n_6787066.html?utm_hp_ref=maureen-ryan
@ihatemattdrufke

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:55:09 PM »
I think a lot of it is spot on, and stuff that has troubled me as well.  It's a show that I enjoy but its approach to gender is uncomfortable.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 04:21:01 PM »
I can see where that writer is coming from, but I think that a lot of what is interesting about the show is that Phil remains a slave to his idiotic impulses despite having a couple of years that could've been used for serious introspection. He was probably a boor before the virus and remains so, and it's his perspective that we see the show through, especially since the first 15 minutes of the show is just him, and he seems like a fun, party guy. Carol seems like the shrew at first because of this POV we've grown acclimated to, but towards the end of the second episode we start to see that Phil is just as bad at interaction as she is.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about the twist at the end of the most recent episode.  It feels too soon.  Comedically the timing was good, but in terms of plot development I don't need them to rush it so fast.

That's how I felt.  It was disappointing.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:15 PM »
I don't like where this show is going, but I'm giving it one more episode.  I'm predicting some other, more desirable man shows up, January Jones hooks up with him, Phil makes an ass of himself trying to break them up.  If that happens, I'm done.  I like the premise of the show, but please let's not make it all about how Phil wants to have sex with the "hot" girl because he's repulsed by Kristen Schaal.

love