Author Topic: The Last Man On Earth  (Read 2771 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: The Last Man On Earth
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 11:18:38 PM »
Spoiler Alert: You can stop now.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 12:40:50 AM »
I don't like where this show is going, but I'm giving it one more episode.  I'm predicting some other, more desirable man shows up, January Jones hooks up with him, Phil makes an ass of himself trying to break them up.  If that happens, I'm done.  I like the premise of the show, but please let's not make it all about how Phil wants to have sex with the "hot" girl because he's repulsed by Kristen Schaal.

Like John Hamm.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:41:14 AM »
Well, I'm not quite ready to give up yet.  Although the plot went almost exactly where I predicted it would, I do like that the new addition is a sympathetic fat character. 

The ending of this last episode was a half-step in the right direction.  I need Phil to be less of an asshole, or the show to quit centering on him.  You could compare it to "The Office".  Michael Scott is uncomfortable to watch because he does horrible things and has an off-putting personality.  There are two key differences.  One, Michael Scott is not the center of the show.  Jim and Pam are.  "The Office" would be pretty unbearable if it was constantly from Michael's POV.  And two, Michael has redeeming qualities.  He may do awful things, but the motivation is that he wants to be liked and admired.  Phil's only motivation for the past three episodes has been to put his penis inside Melissa. 

The speech at the end was, as I said, a half-step.  I don't buy for a second that he's actually falling in love with Melissa.  It could be another ploy to get in her pants, but the show clearly doesn't want us to think that.  But he hasn't spent enough time with her, actually connecting with her and listening to her as opposed to figuring out an angle to getting her in bed.  I'd buy that he's confused lust with love, but not that he's actually in love with her.  The show just hasn't done the job of laying the groundwork for that.  Still, if it means we're moving away from Phil constantly being a detestable scumbag, I'll go along with it for a while.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
I agree that the show needs a bit of heart to it. I like that there hasn't really been an evil character such as what you'd see basically every week on The Walking Dead or something like that, but if the show is going to be on the lighter side I'd like it to be even lighter, if that makes sense.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 04:18:51 AM »
I've only watched up to episode 6 but i agree. Will Forte is likeable and i like him but I'm hating his character at the moment and it's going to drive me away if it keeps going that way. The only redeemable quality the show has for me at the moment is it's only 20 minutes long.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
This show is losing me.  I feel like it had a lot of potential, but is just slipping into a conventional sitcom, and Phil is just becoming an annoying character, which isn't funny, it's just tiresome. 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »
The show put itself in a position where it had to slog through a tiresome middle section... Phil being insufferable, surrounded by people who have to suffer him anyway.  This final episode was the best possible outcome.  Everything was building to this, it just should have come sooner.  I'm interested to see what season 2 will bring.  Now that they've basically hit the reset button, the possibilities are vast.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »
As someone who worked on the show, I had the same reaction. I thought the writing lost its way in the middle, but I liked the last episode almost as much as the first few and thought the way it ends leaves room to avoid the mistakes of Season 1.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »
I agree with most of the problems others have mentioned but overall I liked it and always appreciate Will Forte getting to do his thing on my TV. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 11:49:39 AM »
I kept hearing from people that the show turns things around in the last few episodes. They were right. For about 5 minutes. At this point i think the only reason why I'll give next season a chance is the cliffhanger.