Author Topic: Oregon, My Oregon! The Beaver State Marathon  (Read 4995 times)

Jeff Schroeck

Re: Oregon, My Oregon! The Beaver State Marathon
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
I never connected with Frances Ha for a second. I found it the most tedious and annoying and self-satisfied film (and not incidentally, Frances herself to be the most tedious and annoying and self-satisfied person). You know how we all have that list of films that everyone seems to love but we hate? Yeah, that one's on my list.

My friend, who loves the film, told me that how much one likes the film depends on how much one likes Frances. In my case, he was right.

The word I kept thinking of while I watched characters in Francis Ha interact with each other was 'repellent'. I'm with you on that one.

joshuaadavidd

• No hay banda! It's all a tape.
    • My Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »

Breaking In
(1989, dir. Bill Forsyth)

Burt Reynolds is better than his material, which is surprising in a film directed by Bill Forsyth and written by John Sayles. The big problem here is Casey Siemaszko, whose odd and inert performance lead every scene he's in into a nose dive.

★★

Zero Effect
(1998, dir. Jake Kasdan)

Everything in this movie feels like it's just a tweak away from working. The Sherlockian oddball, the put-upon Watson, the sinister client, the cute girl...it's close. But while Pullman is game, Stiller never gets it right. He swings wildly from whiny Meet-the-Parents mode to unconvincing supercompetence...of course, my general dislike for Stiller may be clouding my judgment here.

The big problem is Kim Dickens' character, who is instantly into Pullman's Zero despite his erratic and creepy behavior. She's got her quirks, but Jake Kasdan never convinces me that Daryl Zero should ever leave his room.

★★★

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
(1954, dir. Stanley Donen)

The story of seven Ariel Castros and their victims' struggles with Stockholm syndrome. That barn dance is pretty fantastic though.

★★

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »
Couple things.  First, where's Free Willy?  Classic Oregon cinema!  ;)

As for Meeks Cutoff, the sound wasn't a problem.  It was exactly what was wanted.  With that sound problem, we understand what it is to be a woman on that wagon trail, unable to capture the important conversations, and so always being out of  the loop.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love