Author Topic: Life's a Garden, Dig It?  (Read 26353 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: Life's a Garden, Dig It?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
Not sure what I'm going to do now that I live in the mountains where it is much cooler and we don't get a lot of sunshine due to the tall pines.

Kale and Lettuces do well in cold, acidic soils. Not sure what else, but those two are a good start.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »
Yeah, I thought about that. I might do some container stuff on my balcony since the deer won't be able to get to it.  I have a high fence dog run on the property that I might till up and use as a garden because the deer can't get in there either.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 07:28:57 PM »
What a great idea, ses!

I do like my mountains, but I think I would rather be in them like you, then merely gazing at them from afar. :)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 04:04:33 AM »
I have been wanting to try to grow some herbs but I pretty much forget about the one plant I have in our condo when my wife is not around

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:31:58 AM by jdc »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 09:28:51 AM »
That is a sad looking plant! Maybe you neglect it, because it's not useful. :)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 09:35:33 AM »
I do have an area for plant area outside my window, I do intend to try to grow herbs and maybe chili (though I hear they attract bugs) but need to research what is good for this climate.  But I think you are correct, if it had more use I wouldn't neglect it.  I do cook so it would be better I grow something more useful

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 09:38:41 AM »
I'm very neglectful of the one plant I have in my house that's not on my kitchen window seal. But the few herbs there, I see and water and utilize. If you planted a marigold with the chili, would that be enough to detract bugs?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 04:55:45 AM »
not sure, just starting to do a little research and it seems most of the European herbs do not grow well around here though some suggest that you can do Rosemary.  I should have guessed the ones that tend to do well are also those that are part of the local flavours like curry leaves, turmeric, thai basil, etc. 

Shopping can sometimes be a challenge here.  There are wet markets with are good to find seafood and will sell a lot of veggies and meats, but not good steaks.  More geared towards soups and stews.

Then there are local grocery and western grocery shops but finding some fresh herbs is challenging. Local grocery stores don't carry a lot of them other then the laksa and curry leafs, but not fresh basil, rosemary, etc.  So it usually requires a special trip and they tend to be relatively expensive for what it is and sometimes won't be available.  So I thought it would be good to just be able to grow them. 

I will research more, I have space where I could do it indoor where they may do better but just don't know enough about how to grow them

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 11:10:24 PM »
Now you've got me wanting to try Laksa soup! I didn't know about it before. The easiest things I've grown indoors are rosemary, thyme and basil. I've had little to no success with chives and cilantro. I could just be me though. I think it's worth a try! Can you get the seeds easily? Or, a starter plant at all? I can buy seeds very cheaply, if you want a care package. :) Or are sending seeds okay, restriction wise?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 11:29:39 PM »
I can find the seeds pretty easily, not sure on starter plants.  I haven't been to a gardening shop before.

BTW, Laksa is very nice...

love