Author Topic: It Follows  (Read 6897 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: It Follows
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »
In the end, it seems a lot to be about STDs and men are somewhat feeble creatures. They will knowingly hide and spread them if they can?  They will also take part in risky behavior with the knowledge that they may be in danger from their partner?  Are women more honest about it in that they will communicate the risk before engaging with somebody?

Overall, I really enjoyed this without thinking about all what it may be trying to say, it was quite tense and creepy for most of it but started to run out of steam towards the end.  But it still had a better them most ending for a horror film.  While the thoughts of STDs started to come to my mind part way through, I didn't try to think of it that much until afterwards.

My wife loves horror films, so will save the second viewing for her
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »
Women can be open about the risk of STDs because men will sleep with them anyway in spite the risk? Which is not necessarily true in the inverse?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 10:51:25 AM »
Women can be open about the risk of STDs because men will sleep with them anyway in spite the risk? Which is not necessarily true in the inverse?

It was a thought that came to my mind from the film, not sure if I would say that it is true or not.  Perhaps men will still take the risk knowing the girl had previously slept with somebody that once had an infection.  He doesn't know if she is clean or not but may still choose to take a chance.

Where maybe the girl would not choose to take the risk at all knowing the same information...

Anyway... still a lot of thoughts about how the they choose to act overall with the different knowledge they may have at the time
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:53:54 AM by jdc »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 12:27:53 AM »
Very thoroughly argued. Made me hop right over to Amazon and order it for a rewatch. Get the sense this is one I want in my collection.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 07:13:56 AM »
Very thoroughly argued. Made me hop right over to Amazon and order it for a rewatch. Get the sense this is one I want in my collection.

Thanks, It's definitely one that reveals more on repeated viewings.
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 11:04:28 PM »
That is a strange commentary track. It can get a little Chris Farley "That was awesome" because it isn't like these critics are going to come on the official track and actually be negative about it (nor would I really want them to, wouldn't be listening if I didn't love it). They do provide some interesting discussion, and sometimes like reading reviews an outside voice can be nice to offer ideas beyond what is intended, but getting that in lieu of a more official discussion of process feels a bit insubstantial because anyone can speculate, only the director (or others involved in the film) can talk from that perspective.