Author Topic: Filmspotting is my escape from the Mainstream shallow culture,whats up with 533?  (Read 3292 times)

Neoman

oh and I am not questioning it's popularity. Its just the gentleman Junior made a comment saying it's a a cultural zeitgeist. I argued it wasn't citing the other said franchises as cultural zeitgeists.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
I'll go back to my example of Batman and Harry Potter.

When these two franchises were at their zenith you couldn't escape the fever of these movies. I would regularly see people dressed as wizards and people dressed as batman or wearing garb with these franchises on them.

I've never seen a fast and furious shirt.

I think perhaps you're looking for signs of influence in the wrong place. Capes and Wands are trademark characteristics of wizards and superheroes. And people don't wear them to support the brand, they're wearing them to role-play. They can't just wear a t'shirt that says Harry Potter. All that is is a person declaring themselves a fan. People that wear capes and carry wands are saying more than that, they're saying I wish I was a wizard too.

Similarly you shouldn't measure F&F's influence by T-shirts. You can measure it's popularity that way perhaps... see how many people are declaring themselves fans, but we're talking about influence. And T-Shirts are not what defines the characters in F&F. The characters are defined by what? By their cars. And thus that is where you see the influence of the series. In people's cars.

And after the first F&F what did every 16 year old boy go out and buy for the aging Civic?

NOS.

Or at least they tried to. And if they could afford it they probably detonated their engine shortly after and couldn't afford another one. For everyone else too broke to buy a NOS kit, and with too much dignity to just spray paint a 2L coke bottle blue and put a NOS sticker on it, what did they do?

They settled for a fart pipe and a park bench.

The homemade Cape and Wand equivalent of the F&F series. And I think by that measure the series has been unbelievably influential. :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:26:59 PM by smirnoff »

Neoman

Ok this has become an argument of semantics.

I do believe the fast and the furious franchise is popular. Extremely popular. I acknowledge that.

But it's not a cultural zeitgeist.

I use batman for example because when it came everybody was talking about it. At work, at thanksgiving, at weddings etc.

Beside the internet I have yet to conversate with someone about any fast and furious movie since god knows when.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
I'll give you that. It's more niche. Not something you'd assume you could chat someone up about.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Adam was quite clear on the show that they were responding to a general upswell of positive opinion from the critical community; in reviewing the series.....

.....but that doesn't put me off loving these films.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Jeff Schroeck

It's ultimately more rewarding to follow someone or something you trust into a place you either don't care about or actively dislike. You hopefully gain more understanding of how their minds approach the things you actually do like.

Faulting a show for 1 out of 533 of its episodes for pushing outside of its general tone comes dangerously close to sounding like the people who write in to NPR to complain about them airing a humor piece.

Neoman

I blame my out burst on the day I was having. I actually listened to the rest of the podcast  sat night lol and it was as enjoyable as any. Honestly Josh and Adam could be talking about wall paper and I just get sucked in by the dynamic of the show.

Jeff, they go to places I'd never go regularly and I enjoy 90% of it. And thanks I'll step away from the edge so I don't fall into the abyss of becoming as dreadful as those whiny NPR fans. Good save..

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Glad you joined the forums Neoman, you should stick around. :)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Zeitgeist schmeitgesit. Vulgar auteurism is in, and Adam could ignore it no longer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:46:30 AM by maņana »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Zeitgeist schmeitgesit. Vulgar auteurism is in, and Adam could ignore it no longer.

Haha awesome!  Watched Tony Scott's REVENGE last night, one of his lower end pieces, but still plenty of fun. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

love