love

Author Topic: Filmspotting is my escape from the Mainstream shallow culture,whats up with 533?  (Read 8206 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Zeitgeist schmeitgesit. Vulgar auteurism is in, and Adam could ignore it no longer.

Haha awesome!  Watched Tony Scott's REVENGE last night, one of his lower end pieces, but still plenty of fun. 

Poor dog tho. :(

edzob

@neoman.. I think I know what your are saying. I following the podcast for quite some years now, and I love them (jee ADAM, but do I miss Matty Ballgame).. and there has changed something in the shows with 50 shades and now with f7.. I don't know what it is, and maybe it is just a small part of a Venn diagram that has no intersection. That having said. I love movies as f7, taxi 1,2 transporter etc. thus it's not the movie that does not hit me.. 

Since i also love their undertaking of movies like avengers etc.. for me it's not the "popular" movie that does provide the "there is something wrong" feeling.

Think this is nice subject for over a few more episodes to see how the show is evolving.

That having said.. adam keep up the good/nice/awesome work.. I love it.. and already hoping you all will review avengers 2 :)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
@neoman.. I think I know what your are saying. I following the podcast for quite some years now, and I love them (jee ADAM, but do I miss Matty Ballgame).. and there has changed something in the shows with 50 shades and now with f7.. I don't know what it is, and maybe it is just a small part of a Venn diagram that has no intersection. That having said. I love movies as f7, taxi 1,2 transporter etc. thus it's not the movie that does not hit me.. 

Since i also love their undertaking of movies like avengers etc.. for me it's not the "popular" movie that does provide the "there is something wrong" feeling.

Think this is nice subject for over a few more episodes to see how the show is evolving.

That having said.. adam keep up the good/nice/awesome work.. I love it.. and already hoping you all will review avengers 2 :)
Thanks! And far be it from me to argue with anybody who has positive things to say... but honestly, there's been no change in approach. I think Josh and I right now are having as much fun as any two hosts have ever had on the show, and that comes through a lot in episodes like FF and 50 Shades. But every time we have a 2 or 3 show stretch of episodes where we review something really mainstream and seemingly 'off' for the show, a couple people say, "Something has changed." :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:26:02 PM by Adam »
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

edzob

it is really a strange thing.
I did love movies like the hobbit, thor and other flicks to be reviewd. So for me it's not about the quality.

Here in the NL we never discuss movies like F7, but we do talk about the hobbit and even dipict transporter.

When I was talking about food with someone, someone told me about umami, and I had never heard about it.
Perhaps f7 and 50 shades are my new umami in movies. a certain taste I did not know that is different from the other tastes, that seem the same.
mm i like this more and more, now i think about it..

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
i love it when you guys do mainstream stuff.

this was a few years ago, but i remember when adam and matty reviewed one of the harry potter films (maybe the last one) and both of them really enjoyed it.

i want to hear their reviews of the big summer films and the mainstream stuff that we see because it's great to hear intelligent conversation on something that's more universal.

i feel like that's always been a good balance on the show.  they usually review the smaller films, but also cover the bigger films that come out each year.

keep at it!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
I have to admit I skipped the episode. Just not interested in the series.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
There were shoutouts to John Ford and Abbas Kiarostami during the top five section of the episode, so it's not like they went entirely mainstream and ultra modern.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
I have to admit I skipped the episode. Just not interested in the series.
A lot of people aren't interested in the series who ended up enjoying the episode a lot.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Jared

• Elite Member
I found this show years and years ago, after Adam made an appearance on the IFC News Podcast, and even at that point, although tongue was firmly planted in cheek, they were going with Arthouse Adam and Mainstream Matty nicknames. While perhaps the divide between the co-hosts tastes was embellished for the purpose of that running joke, the range of coverage was not. It's always been one of my favorite things about the show. I haven't found much else that mirrors my own somewhat haphazard viewing habits. Hell, Josh's yearly favorite went from a movie about fisherman made from the Sensory Ethnography Lab at Harvard to a movie about Legos, and I think a Michael Bay movie was in the top 5 one of those years as well. This particular episode of the show didn't strike me as remotely out of place.

As long as things are thoughtfully discussed in the show's typical manner they could review Paul Blart 2 or Andy Warhol's Empire and I'd be happy.

For what its worth, and the show described this is far better detail than I could, there is a lot to the F&F movies, and if you ducked out on one of the first two movies, I think you are missing some fun stuff that has come out in recent years. It's been in this weird but interesting Magnificent Seven/Mission Impossible type thing for the last few movies, something you would have never really seen coming from the early entries in the series.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
I suppose I should add the context, I was behind on podcast listening so it just seemed the easiest one to let go given the heavy focus (including all of the top-5) on the series. I actually remember liking the first film when it came out. Think the only other I watched was Fast 5 because everyone was buzzing about that but I found it morally abhorrent and bits of what I've heard about 7 don't sound like a deviation. In fact, coming out in the aftermath of Walker dying as a passenger in a car being driven in the reckless style the films glorify probably makes it all the worse. I'm sure the discussion was edifying, and weighed some of these ethical factors in addition to the spectacle, but I just didn't need it in my life.

love