love

Author Topic: The Avengers 2 : Age of Ultron (2015)  (Read 9695 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: The Avengers 2 : Age of Ultron (2015)
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 11:22:12 PM »
Thanos will make the other Marvel villains look puny. The Infinity Gauntlet basically makes him a god.
Sounds like they're building an unbeatable villain except for one tiny achilles heel. Give me a clever plan any day.

My hope is that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is being smart about using all these characters. In that last scene you can fully take in how many superheroes we have to play with. Everyone is acting like the next film is going to have ALL of them PLUS the Guardians of the Galaxy and ones like Doctor Strange who haven't been introduced yet. That can't leave much room for Iron Man to have internal conflict.

I don't believe Marvel plans to.

I think they're building the universe that doesn't need all of the characters all of the time. With each adventure there will be major and minor players. (Budgets and box office expectations will be adjusted accordingly.) This was there isn't an absolute need to lock the cast into contracts followed by a need to cram them into the film because they're contractually obliged to. If they can't get Downey Jr. to play Iron Man for a couple of scenes, give the scenes to Bruce Banner or Star Lord. This is why the next Captain America can be a major event, like Avengers, but you can also round up all the sidekicks from the last scene of the film and make them the stars of a more modest film, with a few Captain America scenes giving them their orders.

Also, Black Widow is to the MCU what McBain is the The Simpsons. I say this in agreement with everyone else who doesn't greenlight films for Marvel. She deserves her own movie, and I believe it would be very successful. While watching her vision in Avengers 2, I had the thought that perhaps when ScarJo has made her last Marvel appearance, you can edit all of her scenes together and it will tell the story of Natasha Romanoff.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 03:34:07 AM »
I liked how the second Cap movie had huge implications for the rest of the MCU but I wish more stand-alone movies worked that way. All the other merely develop their own main characters and have little to no impact on the rest of the universe, making their stakes much lower. Surely it could not have been too difficult to hint at the Iron Army and the rest of the technologies used by Stark in AoU in Iron Man 3 at the very least ? And there might as well not have been a Thor 3 at all for all it change in AoU... I'm not saying that what they add to the team-up movies is all the stand-alones are good for, but it certainly makes them richer.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »
On a completely unrelated note, did anyone go see it in 3D ? If so, how did it hold up ?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 04:45:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

Just kidding... the level of thought here is quite amazing..
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
The nerds appreciate.

MattDrufke

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 06:48:37 AM »
Saw this a second time (my son went to a birthday party where they saw this and I was asked to help chaperone) and I definitely felt a lot better on the ending half hour than before. I still think it's the weakest part of the film, and I still think my criticism holds, but I found it more enjoyable than I did on the first viewing.
@ihatemattdrufke

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »
Just caught up with this one last night. Wish I had the same enthusiasm as you guys do. I enjoyed the action and think it was a lot more fun than the first one. But it just seemed to disjointed. The whole Thor in the pool didn't really make much sense, the romance(?) between Black Widow and Bruce Banner seemed misplaced, and maybe it was me but why did Ultron want to destroy the entire world? Maybe I was looking to deeply into it, or not paying enough attention. I enjoyed it for what it was but overall felt a tad disappointed.
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »
I believe there are scenes missing that make the Thor arc more understandable. As for Ultron, I would agree the handling of his rationale to go from hating the Avengers to wanting to destroy the entire world was a bit gauche. However, I perceive it as Ultron suffering from a kind of cognitive dissonance. The movie makes it clear that he is not a perfectly rational computer but an AI with the same kinds of psychological flaws humans have, namely his creator. He is trying to protect humanity and at the same time he believes humanity is too flawed to be allowed to survived and has doomed it to extinction. Somehow he is able to knot these two threads together in his head with the ultimate consequence that he is trying to protect humanity by destroying it.