Author Topic: Baseball  (Read 9653 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Baseball
« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2017, 01:41:29 PM »
Not that I was asked, but I feel like documentaries have covered this a bit better and I have always put forth A PLAYER TO BE NAMED LATER as the best I've seen that has discussed the hard work, dedication, and heartbreak that goes into attempting to summit the Big Leagues.  All the old films on baseball are way too romantic, the modern stuff glosses over all of it. MILLION DOLLAR ARM is such a Disney pile of crap, while I enjoyed it for a kids film, those guys were unlikely to become big leaguers (not to say their story isn't worth noting, because it is a good one). The scouting aspect isn't expanded upon in the docu as much as it was it takes to develop talent. I'm waiting for a piece on the Dominican leagues or Japanese leagues. SUGAR gives a glimpse of baseball school and talent searching, but its main focus is on the character with baseball as scenery.

I played throughout high school, faced Spooneybarger who did make it to the big leagues as well as had cousins and teammates that have played college ball, so I've been around a bit.  I also follow minor league baseball pretty closely and no film has ever really gotten the intense work and dedication, with the huge reality that there will probably be no payoff, except for what I've seen in documentaries. KNUCKLEBALL is an interesting look at a difficult pitch, not really thrown well by anyone save a select few.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:45:38 PM by colonel_mexico »
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
Not that I was asked, but I feel like documentaries have covered this a bit better...

Yeah but who wants to watch a documentary on Baseball that isn't made by Ken Burns.

EDIT: And that one about the guy in the stands who caught the ball and caught hell for it. Can't remember the title.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »
Ken's BASEBALL is great, but I'm telling you A PLAYER is really good, if you're interested. The Bartman stuff is interesting, but kinda stale
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"