Author Topic: Of Grading Movies  (Read 14407 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Of Grading Movies
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
I don't have anything against it. It's good fun. It's just not The Last Jedi or The Big Short good.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »
Everyone's signature should contain the legend for their color-coded grading system, like:

Legend:  Masterpiece  |  Great  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Awful

I'd like it, anyway.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2019, 06:21:46 AM »
When I clicked to open this thread, I thought DH was back for a moment
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2019, 07:43:35 AM »
Everyone's signature should contain the legend for their color-coded grading system, like:

I'd like it, anyway.

pixote

Done. I kind of wish I had more shades of green to differenciate "Good" for "Fine", because so much of what I watch falls in that limegreen.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2019, 09:43:04 AM »

I'd like it, anyway.

pixote

Not enough room in my signature, unfortunately. I made it work.

sidenote: I was amused to see there's still a place to add your ICQ number in your forum profile. I haven't used ICQ in almost 20 years.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 09:53:35 AM by MartinTeller »

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2020, 01:47:19 AM »
Big question to you all: How good are you at sticking with your ratings? I'd really like to know your philosophy on this question, I need perspectives.

Background on why I ask: I do not like rating movies because I feel like life is an of constant and perpetual consciousness-building, so while no version of me may ever see E.T. as anything but a four-star/10 of 10/A+ film*, I can certainly see a version thinking more highly of The Wind Will Carry us, which I just saw and didn't much care for. I've adopted a simplified color coding system because it helps in some list-making, showing where I differentiate when considering groups of films, but anything more just seems like too much of a commitment.

*Picked to avoid debating an actual film. It's in my username. It's in my email address. It's everywhere. You don't have to like it, but it's pretty obvious where I stand.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2020, 02:23:29 AM »
I love rating (and ranking) films (and other things), but I also do not fret over a film's perceived "quality". I just rate based on my overall experience. The only issue with it is that it sometimes becomes a parasitic thought: I often find myself going into the final stretch of a film thinking of what my rating would be at this point and how the ending might change it, which I don't love.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2020, 03:39:31 AM »
Big question to you all: How good are you at sticking with your ratings?

I think I'm pretty consistent in how I come up with a rating. I rate the experience of sitting there watching it. Was I engrossed, was I moved, and do I want to watch it again. I've found that films that have a perfect rating after one viewing rarely stay that way. It's the 8's and 9's that occasionally become a 10 and then they seem to maintain that.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2020, 05:11:11 AM »
Sort of consistent, although towards the end of last year I dropped my base rating. I generally rate a film I enjoyed around 75/100, but I have shifted that a little lower to 73/100. Most of my ratings are in the 70s

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:26 AM »
I fret over this way too much. I started out using a 10-point scale. Then I switched to a 100-point scale. Then I switched to text tiers ("Great","Good", etc). Then I switched to a combo of 100-pt and text. Lately I've been wanting to simplify again. Like... there is actually a difference between an 83 and an 87 in my mind, but in the end who really frickin' cares? Does it really matter that I like Film A slightly more than Film B? Or is it enough to just say both are very good? Because yes, I do change ratings with some frequency, so they're all pretty fluid anyway.