Author Topic: As I Listen To Older Episodes, I'm More Thankful For Josh Larsen  (Read 11892 times)

Neoman

My first episode was Django Unchained. So I first became a fan of Josh's and Adam's dynamic.

As I listen to older episodes with Matty Ball game I find my self dreading when he talks.

He seems to project his inner turmoil on his film analysis. He speaks with his personal beliefs as definite's while Josh keeps it an open forum. I find myself turning off some episodes because Matty spends too much time ranting about his construct of life and not paying any attention to the film. He moves so far away from the film that I sometimes forget what they were talking about in the first place.

I do appreciate his opinion from time to time and the guy has had some great massacre theaters where I was wowed by his skills.

But like I said for the most part he seems to be venting his frustration with life which makes his discussions almost unbearable to listen to.

I love Josh even more and I've been turned off by so many podcasts on the first episode due to similar negativity from the host or co host. Had I heard a Martty ball game epsiode first I might not be a filmspotting fan.

I'm not one for bubble gum style radio or podcasts but Josh is able to step outside himself and provide real analysis that I can chew on.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: As I Listen To Older Episodes, I'm More Thankful For Josh Larsen
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:30:30 AM »
Josh is able to step outside himself and provide real analysis that I can chew on.

Do you mean he provides an objective analysis rather than a subjective one? The subject fascinates me. Can you give some examples?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »
Josh is able to step outside himself
Impossible! ;)  We can never look at anything without reference to ourselves, our tastes, and our histories, of course, and Josh brings plenty of his own tastes to the table, but I know what you mean.  A critic can aim to start from a personal, emotional response to a  film and personal associations and work his or her way out from there (eg. a sort of Reader Response approach), or a critic can aim to start with more of what we might call the "evidence" of the film - the stuff we can all see and agree on as present - and then fit together what the film seems to be doing or saying as an object unto itself, without as much reference to one's own personal reactions (eg. a sort of New Critical approach). The approaches are always going to overlap, but critics lean one way or the other in emphasis, I think.

Matty brought a lot of personal passion and associations to film discussion; I appreciated that passion though I can understand why others wouldn't.

Have you listened to the earliest episodes, Neoman? Curious what you think of Sam's approach, as compared to Josh's or Matty's.

Neoman

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »
I agree that you can't actually step outside of your self but there are people who are able to be more objective than subjective. I didn't think I'd be torn apart semantically lol.

There's a huge difference between being passionate and coming off as jaded. There are passionate people who don't constantly revert to negative meanderings like Matty does. He loses me constantly amidst his rants which tail off into him just projecting his inner turmoil. I like how Adam and Josh can stay balanced through a conversation and never lose focus.

Matty loses focus and argues out of thin air about subjects that are far removed from the film at hand.

Josh I believe offers a lot more in terms of actually breaking a film down and getting to it's core. Matty literally makes me almost sick some times when he goes " Oh I just hate when people do X and so on". I didn't turn in to hear about your pet peeves, I want film analysis.

@ Oneaprilday , I have listened to some of the earliest episodes and I find Sam very listenable. I still prefer Josh over him, maybe I'm biased but I feel Sam provided more in terms of film criticism than Matty does.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:05:49 PM by Neoman »

Neoman

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
@ Verbals, I do not have the proper mental recall to give you examples. Matty is just far more opinionated a person than Josh. I like how Josh during the Mad Max episode stated how he doesn't have the proper education to say whether a movie is feminist or not. Matty speaks in definite about all of his opinions about life that really sometimes have nothing to do with movies. I find it harder to remember what he says because it can be so asinine and removed.

Also Matty obviously has a HUGE ego. Josh far less detached to show boating.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 10:06:21 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.

Let's agree that hosts on every podcasts have their audience.

Yes, every Filmspotting host has a different style.

I'm not comfortable with this thread getting into personalities of hosts of Filmspotting and owners of this forum.
Texan Down Under

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 11:23:02 PM »
Some days I want vanilla ice cream, sometimes I want chocolate, sometimes I want strawberry. It's all ice cream though. And ice cream is great.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 05:05:48 AM »

Matty speaks in definite about all of his opinions about life that really sometimes have nothing to do with movies. I find it harder to remember what he says because it can be so asinine and removed.

Also Matty obviously has a HUGE ego. Josh far less detached to show boating.

I don't like when people get attacked for defending their opinions tooth and nail. By definition, if you have an opinion it means you believe everyone else who doesn't share it is wrong. Obviously, that doesn't mean you're not aware you're probably wrong, since we're all constantly mostly wrong about everything, but there is no point in reminding yourself and everyone around you that whatever you hold to be true is in all probability valueless. If we don't all assume we're right about what we believe thinking and conversation will stop. There is nothing wrong about defending our ground staunchly until someone proves you wrong.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Neoman

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 05:31:09 AM »
I'm not meaning to stir feathers I was just starting a conversation amongst the community because I was interested in seeing other peoples opinions on Matty. This was not an attack on Matty, this is a filmspotting fan attempting to "shoot the shit" with my fellow listeners because I know zero filmspotting fans in my day to day life.

This isn't a popularity contest but I do believe the show is more rounded with Josh. I guess I'm a hypocrite because I'm guilty of the very thing that I'm harping on Matty for.

I respect his opinion when it comes to movies as he has had some great insights on episodes including the Tree of life episode, I just really feel he goes off topic far too much whilst Josh stays on point.

I actually from time to time found Roger Ebert to turn me off much the same way Matty does ( see the blue velvet review)

I apologize if I've upset anybody here, again I'm a crazy busy guy who's dying to talk about his favorite podcast with fellow fans.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:34:12 AM by Neoman »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 06:03:32 AM »
Speaking for myself, there has been no upsetting or ruffling of feathers going on (I only wear feathers in the winter anyway). I should mention I haven't actually listened to any episode from the Matty Age, I was only defending the general idea that people just be able to be strongly opinionated without it being held against them. And I think I speak for everyone when I say you shouldn't concern yourself with offending anyone here with an attempt at conversation. Well, unless you speak ill of Emma Stone. Then I'll cut you.

Have you thought of introducing yourself and answering a few traditional questions ?

Be wary of question 11, I believe 1SO's mental health hinges on your answer.

Oh, and welcome.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love