Author Topic: The Ratings Project: Directors  (Read 84131 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: The Ratings Project: Directors
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 07:27:05 AM »
This is difficult. There are those who are mostly okay but make a brilliant movie once in a while (Woody), those who are usually meh or even bad but have one or two masterpieces under their belts (Coppola), those I have only seen a couple of movies of, those I have been careful only to watch the good stuff, etc....

The sum of Woody's production is considerably higher than the value of his films one by one.

Yes, I also think this is difficult, mostly because some directors are familiar to me and some are almost uncharted territory. My average was 4.8 btw.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 08:06:55 AM »
This is difficult. There are those who are mostly okay but make a brilliant movie once in a while (Woody), those who are usually meh or even bad but have one or two masterpieces under their belts (Coppola), those I have only seen a couple of movies of, those I have been careful only to watch the good stuff, etc....

The sum of Woody's production is considerably higher than the value of his films one by one.

Yes, I also think this is difficult, mostly because some directors are familiar to me and some are almost uncharted territory. My average was 4.8 btw.

My ratings are definitely biased insofar as I have avoided each director's worse/more common works. Maybe I should find a formula to weight my ratings with the proportion of a director's filmography I have seen. Food for thought.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 08:26:03 AM »
And if rating the body of work, seen and unseen, isn't challenging enough, when it comes to Allen and Polanski, depending on your views, you have to take into account their transgressions outside of cinema.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 08:30:20 AM »
And if rating the body of work, seen and unseen, isn't challenging enough, when it comes to Allen and Polanski, depending on your views, you have to take into account their transgressions outside of cinema.

According to my views, I really don't.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 09:55:48 AM »
Anyway, here are my ratings in spreadsheet fashion.
When I clicked it I got...

Does it matter that I'm using a Mac?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
Anyway, here are my ratings in spreadsheet fashion.
When I clicked it I got...

Does it matter that I'm using a Mac?

You were right. I solved the error and now it should be available with no problem. Thank you for making me notice.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 10:20:07 AM »
The other question I was dealing with is: If I've only seen one film by a director, can I really rate her or him?  How can I possibly have a sense of what the director is like?  There was a single director in this list that I'd only seen one, but it will happen many more times before we are through.  I went ahead and voted, but there will be other directors that I'll probably opt out.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
1SO said he'd probably have a rule that the director needed to have 3 features to be in the project. I think for this set I'd actually seen at least three from each, if I were to impose a similar requirement on myself. Certainly I'd feel bad giving a really negative score on the basis of one film. The low scores I gave this time are directors who I've, for some reason, gone back to the poisoned well many times.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 11:15:29 AM »
That's a good rule in general, but what about directors who have only made two movies ? And directors who you've only seen the two best movies of and have no intention of watching the average rest ? If I had only seen Knife-in-the-Water and Chinatown from Polanski would I not be allowed to recognize him as a good filmmaker ?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »
I think my formula is going to be something like this:

Base = Average Rating of Five Best Movies
Penalty = 0.5 times the number of movies under five that I haven't seen
Bonus = 0.5 0.1 0.15 times the remaining movies I'm truly eager to see + 0.25 0.05 times the movies I'm truly eager to revisit

Now I just need to find time to implement this. I'll probably have to tweak things so that 10.0 is a possible rating.

pixote
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:47:21 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad