love

Author Topic: Inside Out  (Read 10138 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Inside Out
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 09:31:11 AM »
I agree with Totoro in the above exchange.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »
I have removed all Spoiler Tags.

I didn't notice DocPete, but I did hear the Haunted Mansion theme during Riley's nightmare and saw the board game in Imagination Land with a picture of Nemo called 'Find Me'.

About the Chinatown reference, what about the bigger question of people who believe the equation that Animated Films = Kids Films? How easy is this going to be to understand if you're not at the age Riley is in the film? Those concepts, especially the resolution of them, can't possibly make sense to someone who hasn't gone through them yet. (This is not another of my crazy reasons against the film. I like this aspect a lot.)

Corndog, I believe that will be the common wisdom.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 12:42:55 AM »
I would say a lot of people still consider animated films to be kid films. I don't. I think out of anyone Pixar has proved that they're not.

Do you think Pixar's target audience is kids or adults? In my screening my partner and i were the only couple there without kids.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 01:20:22 AM »
I saw it in a theater with only one or two children in attendance (it was 9:15 at night) and I think they enjoyed it.

Also, I don't particularly care if a movie doesn't work for a kid so long as it works for me. If Pixar or any other company aims squarely at making a kids movie and ends up making the best movie of all time, but which is only appreciated by people over the age of 21, does that mean it's not a good movie?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Totoro

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 05:24:30 AM »
I just thought the Chinatown joke was kind of lame, perhaps the lamest of the film. That or the Imaginary Boyfriend bit.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »
This interview with Pete Docter is superb and has a pretty major spoiler in it, so I'm putting it here.

http://thedissolve.com/features/interview/1075-pete-docter-on-the-goals-and-milestones-of-inside-/
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 10:50:30 PM »
Building on your idea about the console, I loved how inside the different brains we saw different emotions in charge. Mom was ruled by Sadness while Dad's leader was Anger, though as an adult all five emotions worked more in harmony with nobody dominating the controls.

This is one thing that stood out to me as well, and you'll note that at the end Riley's console is expanded. Growing up means being able to have multiple emotions working in tandem rather than battling for control. There is something interesting in that. The end credits saved the film a bit in terms of the shot into mom and dad's brain. If we were left with them, it would be a very gender stereotyped portrayal. By throwing us into other heads at the end, we see that it really is just a case of different personalities having different dominant emotions.

I forgot it already, but there was one joke where myself and a couple of the parents laughed and then randomly one kid laughed and I was like "no way the kid actually got that joke." It was a pretty young audience, even at 8pm.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 04:46:29 PM »
Catching up with this thread now, but even though I'm much more positive on this than 1SO (what the CINECAST! is happening here?) I did notice the excessive voice over at the beginning and found it really jarring. I get why it's there, and obviously it's helpful/expedites, especially because there is the need to balance the internal and the external on multiple levels, but it definitely is a strange way to kick off the film.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
what the CINECAST! is happening here?

Up is down, inside is out!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 06:32:51 PM »
For many years I've been wanting to visit Pixar Studios. I recently got invited to do just that in a couple of months, and I've been told I'll be meeting with Pete Docter and producer Jonas Rivera. This is a very bad time to be having an unpopular opinion.