Author Topic: Inside Out  (Read 7575 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Inside Out
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
I could argue that Love is only a summation of the four emotions and not a separate emotion itself. Led by joy, love can also feature sadness, anger and fear. It's a bit like saying there are more colors than Red, Yellow and Blue. Yes, of course there are more colors than that, but you get them by mixing the core, or primary, colors. There are of course more emotions than joy, sadness, anger and fear, but I can get to most of them by mixing the core emotions.

And some would say that disgust and anger are really part of the same emotion.  It's difficult to separate them in general, and Pixar has psychologists who helped them develop these.  But there are other psychologists when looking at core emotions also include love, and in my reading that makes more sense.

Again, I'm not against the movie.  I love it.  That took me out of the film, however, that it is missing this core emotion.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »
I agree that love should be a core emotion but I also think there are at least a couple of
 others that should too. And I am not sure about disgust either but it doesn't bother me that she is here.

What really annoys me though is how emotions are the only thing our decisions are based on in the movie, and there is no room left for other psychological underpinnings, like reason mainly.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 05:55:40 PM »
Emotion is both the source of most of our rationality, and a form of intuitive rationality.

Surprise/Fear is the rational statement-- there's danger there!

Anger-- There's injustice there!

Sadness-- This overwhelms me, I need to slow down

Joy... well, whatever.

Disgust-- That's unhealthy!

The only reason they aren't called rational is because they are instant responses, and balancing one with another helps us slow down to see if these responses are true or not.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Osprey

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »
Did anyone else think this movie had an amazing concept but was underwhelmed by the plot they actually used to explore that concept?  There was a so much potential that I feel was left on the table.