love

Author Topic: Essentially - A movie orgy  (Read 17250 times)

valmz

Re: Essentially - A movie orgy
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 01:17:33 AM »
Lots of Fellini talk, yet no mention of how completely opposite ends of the spectrum La Strada is from his later work? Just watching La Strada and 8 1/2 alone is a pretty good barometer for one's tastes, and that's just one director.

The one missing name that jumped out at me was Fassbinder. Definitely a more distinctive filmmaker than Herzog, for me, from that generation of German filmmakers.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 01:21:52 AM »
Oh there's a lot of notable missing directors.  He'll get there, give him time.  He's got a lot on his plate for now :D

valmz

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 01:39:06 AM »
That's true enough - but how can one live without Fassbinder? This is a question I can no longer answer, it seems so difficult to imagine.

I also totally misread or glanced over the other Fellini post, but I guess I just can't read good.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 01:54:10 AM »
I've seen nothing by Fassbinder (yet).  Although Ali: Fear Eats the Soul is way up on my shame list.

DH, you've got your work cut out for you.  Can't wait to see you get going on this.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 03:26:02 AM »
Good luck meeting your ambition. A number of landmark films on that list. If you stick to that schedule your tastes will be changed and/or streamlined in 2 years.

I am far too impatient to wait two years to get through this. I'd like to be done in 18 tops if I'm going to be realistic. What worries me is how difficult some of these are going to be to find. I have no library or movie rental store at my disposal and the interwebz can make it hard to get one's hands on an older movie.

The one missing name that jumped out at me was Fassbinder. Definitely a more distinctive filmmaker than Herzog, for me, from that generation of German filmmakers.

I prioritized the movies that most bothered me for not having watched them. I seldom hear talk of Fassbinder so he doesn't occasion me to miss a reference or get lost in a conversation so he's not a priority at the moment.

Good luck meeting your ambition. A number of landmark films on that list. If you stick to that schedule your tastes will be changed and/or streamlined in 2 years.

I imagine my Top 100 will look like something else entirely in a matter of months.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 03:38:46 AM »
Rather than bombarding with a list that will make this even harder to do; I'll pick one director and recommend a set to watch.

There's JP Melville boxset out there, which I remember being cheap. It might be something you can get through Amazon UK. I think the regions are the same UK to Europe (?). From the set I'd recommend;

Army of Shadows
Le doulos
Bob le Flambeur

Anyway good luck with the marathon. I went through a similar process 2010 onwards. Working at 300 a year I d say it ran its course after 3-ish years. I think you will come across directors where you have to watch all their films immediately and some you can't stand after a couple films. As always follow your heart, not lists.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 03:47:00 AM »
Wait, are you saying you watched 900 movies in 3 years or 300 movies ?

Going with my heart ends up with me falling asleep before The Boxtrolls and reconsidering my life choices. This list is intended to keep me away from such deviant behaviour.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 04:02:08 AM »
It was a one a day habit at least during that period so 300 a year might be underestimated rather than over. My database with most of the write ups from the past 4 years has over 1100 films in it. I don't have the time (or inclination) anymore so the most productive period I had was for about 3 years. I used to come home from work mid morning, sleep, cycle mid afternoon and watch a film late afternoon. So you need a steady routine to make this work.

If I found a director, like Godard or Wong Kar Wai, I didn't like ,  I would still give them 3 films, but no more.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
You got me wondering how many films a year I've watched.  From when I started keeping track:

2003: 283
2004: 337
2005: 436
2006: 376
2007: 360
2008: 631
2009: 507
2010: 639
2011: 679
2012: 567
2013: 448
2014: 316
2015: 94 (so far)

These numbers aren't quite as crazy as they seem, because they include shorts (100 entries for Stan Brakhage alone, almost all of them shorts).  But I was pretty busy for a while there.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »
yep. 300+ a year isn't too uncommon here.