Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 6575 times)

Harpo Speaks

• Cook'd and Bomb'd Comedy Chat Podcast
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:44 AM »
I realized that I was in for something that would at least partially be quite unpleasant during a moment that I feel perfectly encapsulates everything wrong with the movie. When we get to the island, Williams' brilliant score from the first Jurassic Park starts playing. This time though, instead of having a magical moment that reveals to us for the first time the amazingly rendered dinosaurs, we are gloriously introduced to…lobby rooms, escalators and aerial shots of the city portion of the park. Gaze at the majestic hotels ! Ugh.

Remember that scene in the original Jurassic Park where Alan, Ellie and Malcolm see the Brachiosaurus for the first time? It's a perfect encapsulation of wonder, where the characters act as audience surrogates, gazing in awe at an impossible creature, as we do the same. The group are visibly shaken, overwhelmed by emotion as the majestic score swells.

Now imagine using a bastardized version of that score again, except this time for a kid looking at some buildings. Welcome to Jurassic World.

Looks like we're largely on the same page, particularly when it came to that scene. My whelm was thoroughly undered.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 04:17:35 AM »
I can't believe how bad this film is. Jurassic Park. Dinosaurs on the loose - how do you f*ck that up? You write a terrible script, weak characters, you shoe-horn in an even weaker central emotional thread that we seem to be expected to care about just because.... uhm uhm uhm divorce is sad, right?... and then the actors do their bit. Chris Pratt made me laugh a few times, but not in that good Parks and Rec tubby-guy-says-silly-things-ha-ha-ha way. The performances are mostly terrible.

Everything about this film is awful, but you know how you can't not look at a car crash?

Dreadful.

I'm just glad I didn't pay to see it. That only encourages these people.

To everyone who dislikes or hates Jurassic World; do you have a strong connection to Jurassic Park? I'm not too critical on movies to start with but I really enjoyed World probably more than Park. I wonder if it's because I don't have a strong connection with Park?

I think this will be an issue with Star Wars big time.

Jurassic Park is probably still my favourite summer blockbuster film type thing, but I don't know how strong my connection is with it - it's not like it got me into dinosaurs or anything, I just thought it was good. I still think it's good. But there are many, many films I'd watch ahead of it. Jurassic Park has more meat to it, the ideas behind it are dealt with in a tidier fashion. In fact JP feels like its driven by an idea - the novel, man screwing around with nature - rather than this idea being shoe-horned into the film about big dinosaurs, as in JW.

This film had four screenwriters. Maybe that's why it's a mess. One writer, two at the most, who has/have a clear idea of what they are writing about.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:19:36 AM by IDrinkYourMilkshake »
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."