love

Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 8445 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Jurassic World
« on: June 16, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »
We are gonna need this, right?

I will have time for more thoughts later.

My one main negative point? The death of Zara, the assistant, was too much. Take pleasure in the death of one of the horrid people who caused this devastation, don't reserve the most drawn out and terrifying death for someone we've hardly known, who basically functions as a babysitter.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I apologize for not adding anything too in depth to the conversation, but this...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/the-hero-of-jurassic-world-is-not-chris-pratt-but-the-man-do#.ypWa905w1
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Totoro

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:03 PM »
It was by that time that I accepted what I was watching was a 90s Saturday morning cartoon so I stopped caring about comparing this to the first three. This is a very entertaining bad film. I hated all of the characters and, at different points, wanted them all to die. The plot, however, mostly works. The special effects were pretty poor. And yet, I loved the design/feel of the theme park. The four main leads were all dull, but the supporting cast were all excellent in limited roles. I can't hate the film despite various problems with how it's written. It doesn't feel like JURASSIC PARK, it feels like a sci-fi camp classic from the 50s/60s. And that's fine?

I hope Lauren Lapkus and Jake Johnson return in the sequel, along with original cast-members like Sam Neill, Jeff Goldblum, and Laura Dern.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:40:47 PM by Totoro »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:26:35 PM »
I apologize for not adding anything too in depth to the conversation, but this...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/the-hero-of-jurassic-world-is-not-chris-pratt-but-the-man-do#.ypWa905w1

Love this and felt the same way.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
Posting about that on Facebook was literally my first comment on the film.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 12:22:39 AM »
Also too...the visitors center from Jurassic Park looks like a freaking archeology dig, so I felt super old.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:55:13 AM »
The finale is inevitable and not that interesting in the way it's handled, but I'll write about that in the Spoiler Thread.

Overall, the film was very T-Rex lite, so I quickly figured they were saving it for the climactic takedown. When it arrives, you want something like the ending of Godzilla, but this was closer to The Incredible Hulk where it's just two giant effects creatures bashing away at each other while everything around them shatters. Boring. I kind of liked bringing the other creature into it, but that surprise brings up a major question. Could the water dino always jump onto land like that? Because that pretty well shows this park was an accident waiting to happen all along. (Also, the moment gave me Deep Blue Sea deja vu. If you've seen both films, you know what I'm talking about.)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 01:12:42 AM »
Charitably, I'm going to go with they dinos had broken through into an off-limits area by the time the sea dino got involved.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 01:25:03 AM »
There's probably a good excuse. In the moment I didn't think about it, but writing about the fight it popped into my brain. This is really one of those films you don't have to look at closely to find flaws in the logic. Best to not go looking.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »
One moment that annoyed me...the boys get a call from their Aunt and the signal breaks up. First, they seem to decide it must be no big deal and carry on. Second, she doesn't text them. Maybe the text doesn't go through, but when conditions prevent talking on phone one should text. Also all other times. But seriously, just text "dangerous Dino loose, gtfb."

love